Main Relay???

95maineteg

Got a 95 GSR and about a month ago the car wouldn't start. It would turn over, but wouldnt start. So I called up my bro and he came over and we checked for spark and it had it. Just for shits and giggle we pulled the fuel injection main relay out of his 96 teg and plugged it into mine. It started right up. Ok? So I plugged my old relay back in and the car has ran fine up to last night when it wouldnt start again. So, i called up honda (b/c there is no Acura dealership in Maine) and picked up a new relay. Plugged it in, turned car over few times and it started up. Again, put the old main relay in and it ran fine. Anybody else have or had this problem?? Also, I have had the car for almost 5 years, and have not replaced the battery and dont know how old it is. If it starting to get weak, could this be an issue?? Any help would be appreciated..

P.S. I am about to swap out bumpers, 95 to 98 and paint the whole car. Cant wait. I will post pic so you can see the results.

95maineteg

I dunno, just to see if it works, I guess.. It does work, which confusses me. I think there maybe something else entailed with this problem. ????

NoR*CaL

96 Ls Integra ^^
was it raining out when u were doing it? if main relay gets any kind of water in it or even damp it wont work

95maineteg

It was raining earlier in the day and the tempreature has been warmer than it has been. Maybe condensation?? I dunnno.. Time will tell. Just wanted to know if anyone else is having or had this problem. Thanks!!

mob182

mob182
Everybody i know that had engine that turned but wouldn't start, was in humid days. All the had to do is change the spark plugs.

If you really want to know whats wrong, some repair shops have testers for that kind of stuff and it's not very expensive and it's going to answer your question.

NoR*CaL

96 Ls Integra ^^
that was the problem then. if water vapors reach your main relay itll mess with it. i was having the same problems back when i owned my ef

Pugnap00

Why so serious?
lol stop using the bad relay

MY battery died so i went and bought a new battery and the car started fine but then i put the dead battery back in and it didnt start

NoR*CaL

96 Ls Integra ^^
i never said "bad relay" i just stated when a relay gets vapors of water in it, itll tend to not function corectly =)

Backwoodz Tuner

Well them main relays are notorious for goin out particularly in the early 90's and late hondas. The contacts inside them get corroded over time which results in a poor connection. But still some what of a connection so it will intermittently start. Also I heard they go bad after they warm up from heat but start fine when say the car is first started in the morning. I would put my money on, that your relay is your problem, and trash that old one asap!.

95maineteg

Well thanks for your thoughts, opinions and suggestions. It all is greatly appreciated. The car will have to sit for a couple days, b/c its snowing out. Will post some pics soon when I get ready to change the bumper cover, headlights/marker lights and paint the whole car. I cant wait.