Tein Basic vs Tein SuperStreet

rxl

RXL
Considering tein supensions is there a big difference in terms of comfort and handling between the tein basic coilover and the tein SS coilover suspension. My current setup is Eibach pro lowering springs with kyb agx struts, car rides good and performance is also good but my issue is the height of the front, want it to be lower the rear is just fine.

mirrorimg

The spring rates are the same if not close to the same. The main differences in the different models is the adjustability. If you go to their website, there is a breakdown of the spring rates, dampening adjustability, and height adjustability.

The difference between the basics and superstreets is the adjustable dampening. The springs rates and height adjustability is the same.

Specs on Tein SuperStreet and Basic

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
The spring rates are the same if not close to the same. The main differences in the different models is the adjustability. If you go to their website, there is a breakdown of the spring rates, dampening adjustability, and height adjustability.

The difference between the basics and superstreets is the adjustable dampening. The springs rates and height adjustability is the same.

Specs on Tein SuperStreet and Basic
x2 each of the tein are made for a different purpose as well as have a different spring rate and adjustability. the springs may not differ until you get to the high end though

00GSteg

I debated the same thing when buying them. I ended up going with the SuperStreet because I thought I would change the dampening around but after about the first month of changing the dampening I just left it at the same place. So unless you are going to be using your car for the track and the street where you would need to changed the dampening I would just get the Basic.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
the dampering would come in handy if you did dd, touge or other things... it depends on what you do and how you drive basicaly. SS would be good if you did track and touge as well as daily. basic would be good for dd and maybe touge

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
If you are only concerned about lowering, why not just put coilover sleeves on your current struts?
Honestly, a lot of the Teins I have driven on have been less than impressive. Their super high-end parts I hear are good (their race spec dampers and such), but with the stuff that the average consumer will buy - basics, super streets, flex, etc. - there is more to be had. You'd be paying for the name more than anything IMO.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
If you are only concerned about lowering, why not just put coilover sleeves on your current struts?
Honestly, a lot of the Teins I have driven on have been less than impressive. Their super high-end parts I hear are good (their race spec dampers and such), but with the stuff that the average consumer will buy - basics, super streets, flex, etc. - there is more to be had. You'd be paying for the name more than anything IMO.
one reason you do coilovers rather than sleeves is coilovers dont shorten shock life. KYB might have the same life as the tokico blues if lowered...im not sure tho... but i sugest Function Form type 1 if you just want lowered

db8_Joe

one reason you do coilovers rather than sleeves is coilovers dont shorten shock life. KYB might have the same life as the tokico blues if lowered...im not sure tho... but i sugest Function Form type 1 if you just want lowered
My current setup ( GC Coilovers with Tokiko Blues and asr 23mm SB) is a great all around set up. So far ive been rollin with no finger gapfor about 3 years. No leaking struts or blown. Its smooth and takes a turn like a mofo lol! all though I wouldnt mind having stiffer spring rates. But I'd like to try the tokiko illumnas.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
but with the stuff that the average consumer will buy - basics, super streets, flex, etc. - there is more to be had. You'd be paying for the name more than anything IMO.
The Flex has adjustable strut length and spring preload. Those things just can't be be with anything but a full coilover. The added cost of the full coilover isn't so much the name that you pay for, it's all of the extra features. Comparison just for fun:

Tein Flex: $1,700
- Adjustable preload
- Adjustable ride height via threaded strut body (doesn't reduce strut travel)
- Adjustable compression and rebound damping
- Adjustable upper camber plates with pillow ball mounts

Ground Control: $300
-Adjustable ride height via spring perch (reduces strut travel)
4 Koni Yellow: $550
- Adjustable rebound damping only (no threaded body for ride height control without sacrificing travel)
4 Tein Adjustable Pillow Ball Mounts- $320

Now you're up to $1170 and you still missing features that just cannot be had with this setup. You still only have rebound adjustability, you still can't lower the car without sacrificing strut travel and you don't have the option for spring preload. You also don't have the larger strut design that allows for larger pistons, valving and more fluid capacity which make them stronger and have better heat dissaption. Considering the features available with the full coilover, it's not a bad price.

Last edited:

TSPOON

after much thinking and researching ..I am staying away from sleeve type coilover setups and i am just going to save a little bit and throw down the cash for a full coilver setup.. something specifically made for my car...just my .02 ..if you can afford it ..its not even a close comparison..

g3teg97

Super Moderator
My current setup ( GC Coilovers with Tokiko Blues and asr 23mm SB) is a great all around set up. So far ive been rollin with no finger gapfor about 3 years. No leaking struts or blown. Its smooth and takes a turn like a mofo lol! all though I wouldnt mind having stiffer spring rates. But I'd like to try the tokiko illumnas.
I am very surprised your tokico's have lasted this long.