Main Relay going out???

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
Hi,sorry to come back here again with a problem,anyways,my sister's Teg(as always),had the problem (it had it even before the previous owner got it) that it takes a LOOOOOONNNGGGG time starting after you started it once,you could start it normally,but after you drove a little bit and turned it off,and try to start it again,the car would take AT LEAST 3 MINUTES to start (yes,i know,that kills the starter,but we don't have time to play broken car),and today,(i'll try my best to explain this),after i came from school,my sister drove it (the long start),and when she came back,she told me there was a hanging box in the knee bolster,so i decided to go and check,and found a strange looking box covered with tape,i unrolled the tape,voila,MAIN RELAY,with it's protective cover broken in 3 pieces,(that was what the tape was for!!!),i decided to redo the tape mosh again and cooled the relay (cause it was mild hot),finished it,plugged back in,and SOMEHOW,i decided to start the car,And BOOM,IT STARTED INSTANTLY,I WAS SURPRISED,

then I remembered reading 2 articles about this,one said that the when the relay is gone the car becomes hard to start,also that it said that the main relay controls all the power flow to the car (that explains why every time i turn the lights on all the dash and radio lights goes dim (and the alternator was recently replaced,WEIRD)),the other one,was that Honda's Main relays tend to go out very frequently,

so,with this long ass talk(sorry about it folks,just like to explain my experience thoroughly),the question popped into my mind,IS the MAIN RELAY about to die,or it's long gone???

thanks for your time

WDEDMON1

Gone. The sodering inside of these relays wears out eventually. Its just life, like a muffler, the emmissions will eventually eat the metal away. Heat does the same thing in these cars. I need to replace my EFI Main RElay. Not sure if its the same ur tlkin bout. Brown, under steering wheel, mine says mitsu on the side. I gotta replace it because its stopped turning on the fuel pump. Hope this helps. Does ur check engine light stay on(before it starts) if its not working correctly? I find that my check engine light has to go off before I can turn it over.

92GSRneedswork

Gone. The sodering inside of these relays wears out eventually. Its just life, like a muffler, the emmissions will eventually eat the metal away. Heat does the same thing in these cars. I need to replace my EFI Main RElay. Not sure if its the same ur tlkin bout. Brown, under steering wheel, mine says mitsu on the side. I gotta replace it because its stopped turning on the fuel pump. Hope this helps. Does ur check engine light stay on(before it starts) if its not working correctly? I find that my check engine light has to go off before I can turn it over.
same with me, unfortunately i dont think theres anything you can do but fix the relay, sometimes its quicker for me to wait for the check engine light to go off, other times its quicker for me to turn the key half way several times to make the light go off, but for me it happens rarely, usually at the worst moments possible

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
There is actually a way to fix it. I had the same problem last summer with my db1. I read a write up about re-soldering the caps (or whatever they call them). It's going to end up being worth just buying a new relay in the long run. I think I spend $40-$45 on mine.

DAmonzt3r

db1 is love
yeah theres i a way to fix it i did it a few months ago on my buddys da and its running perfect but i recommend u to just get a new one or go to the junk yard and get a couple of them

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
so,that's the little shit responsible for not sending any power to my fuel pump,(i had to rewire the power cable to another cable,so that it would work),and I found out another big problem today,when i went to the dealer to buy the coolant reservoir cap (which my dad lost),i started it,didnt want to start,did the relay trick,it started,went 2 miles and all of the sudden the car collapsed in the middle of the highway,in other words,(since don't feel like explaining myself cause i'm tired because of my incident),i liberated pressure fro the radiator and the car started just fine,i removed the thermostat,and the car is 100% good,still tho,it sometimes does the shitty start again,

so i go 2 things wrong,the thermostat/cooling fan (cause at the time of overheating,the fan wasn't even turned on) and the main relay,
am I right,and if i am,I am sad,that the car that i spended all my money and love is betraying me like this!!!

WDEDMON1

Currently I am finding alot of things wrong with my car. I guess after 18 yrs these things start crappin on ya. I replaced my master cylinder(mines stock w/ no abs thank God), Muffler(cat back but stock), oil pan gasket, and now im dealing with the water pump and EFI relay. Yea its definitely the relay thats going out. You def. have to love your Teg to have it on the road lol but its worth it man. You need to bleed ur coolant system and possibly get it flushed. The wiring shouldnt be messing up, its the soldering inside the relay thats going out. Imma just buy a new one. Go to honda connection. I think they got em. Get a volage tester with a light to test the current in your fan wires. The plug may be malfunctioning. You can follow it all the way back to the harness. Thermostats no biggie. Also check the fuses. Hope you didnt mess with the wiring and mess up the fan. Hope this helps

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
Currently I am finding alot of things wrong with my car. I guess after 18 yrs these things start crappin on ya. I replaced my master cylinder(mines stock w/ no abs thank God), Muffler(cat back but stock), oil pan gasket, and now im dealing with the water pump and EFI relay. Yea its definitely the relay thats going out. You def. have to love your Teg to have it on the road lol but its worth it man. You need to bleed ur coolant system and possibly get it flushed. The wiring shouldnt be messing up, its the soldering inside the relay thats going out. Imma just buy a new one. Go to honda connection. I think they got em. Get a volage tester with a light to test the current in your fan wires. The plug may be malfunctioning. You can follow it all the way back to the harness. Thermostats no biggie. Also check the fuses. Hope you didnt mess with the wiring and mess up the fan. Hope this helps
No I didn't,WDEDMON1,sadly,somebody else did,and did a shitty ass connection to the fan (which eventually died),and the ac fan too,the rad fan was disconnected(because of the shitty connection),and the ac fan was rewired to some cables that i don't even know what they are,i just know that i rerouted them back to it's original position,didn't work,checked the solenoids,both of them were blown,i rerouted both to their original locations,bought the solenoids,but Surprise,the ac fan works like a charm,But the Rad fan,doesn't even move,i decided to test the rad fan and it was in a good working condition,but somehow,it doesn't work,and when it comes to electrical,WE'RE IN A BIG PROBLEM!!!

WDEDMON1

Yea I agree. Can you find the original hook up to the fan from the main harness? I wiuld go to pull-a-part ar a junkyard and cut the fan wires off. While doing this, take note of where they terminate at so u can rewire it back into your old car. Or if its really messed up u may just wanna buy a new harness. Straight wires suck. Straight ghetto lol

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
Yea I agree. Can you find the original hook up to the fan from the main harness? I wiuld go to pull-a-part ar a junkyard and cut the fan wires off. While doing this, take note of where they terminate at so u can rewire it back into your old car. Or if its really messed up u may just wanna buy a new harness. Straight wires suck. Straight ghetto lol
I did already,i hooked all the wires up to their original locations,but it still wouldn't go,and right now,fuses just popped into my mind,now i would check those,bad part being that i don't have a fuse diagram,does somebody has one???

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
# 20 or 21 at the top of the diagram
instead of the 15's that were supposed to be there,they were 2 20's,replaced back with 2 15,
all the fuse box was out of control,so i had to replace all the wrong fuses for the right ones,took like 10 mins

your relay may be goin out too
i know that too,tested the fan connections with a test light,0% power (and the car was 1/4 to hot)
no power,fuse good,connection ??,relay recently replaced,so, what could it be???

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
i also found out some info about the coolant fan timer going out,could it be that the timer on my car is gone???
(and is causing me this problem)???