B18a1 ??

RunninJDM

i just got my first integra, and was wondering if the b18a1 came with the pr4-2 head? because the guy has a swap in the 1992 integra and said it was vtech but it states that the b18a1 is NOT?

Prozon

Kris
Does your valve cover say "vTec"? If not, then you don't have a vTec head. :thumbs up

The b18a1 and b18b1 are both non-vtec motors.

Prozon

Kris
You have a non-vTec motor.

A b18c1 is a vTec motor.

Tweakydizi

B18a1 are non-vtec. (Despite my friends beliefs) I have one also and i prove him time and time again by trying to get vtec to kick in. Best way to see if u have vtec or not is to try to get it to start, i believe it kicks in at 5400 rpm? i mey be wrong. But either way, the best way to see is by trying to start it yourself.

Prozon

Kris
I honestly wouldn't think that's the best way. There are several other ways to identify it.. for example, a B18a1 will not have "vTec" on the valve cover, his does not, therefore he has a B18a1/b1.

On the transmission side of the engine, the side opposite of the distributor should either have a plug, or a vTec solenoid.

melition

thats actually a very bad way. cus my b18a1 sure feels like it has vtec. even took the valve cover off to see, thats a sure way to tell. but its peak torque hits at about 5500 rpms is my guess. Because it puts you in your seat from how hard it kicks.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
thats actually a very bad way. cus my b18a1 sure feels like it has vtec. even took the valve cover off to see, thats a sure way to tell. but its peak torque hits at about 5500 rpms is my guess. Because it puts you in your seat from how hard it kicks.
your peak "torque" at 5500 is due to your gearing. You'd have the same effect at lower RPMs with shorter gearing. If your car is stock, the b18a1 is non-vtec. If it was been modified, it is possible somebody bolted on a vtec head with an lsvtec kit but if the valve cover does not say vtec, its not vtec (unless it has been shaved and thus would have nothing).

melition

your peak "torque" at 5500 is due to your gearing. You'd have the same effect at lower RPMs with shorter gearing. If your car is stock, the b18a1 is non-vtec. If it was been modified, it is possible somebody bolted on a vtec head with an lsvtec kit but if the valve cover does not say vtec, its not vtec (unless it has been shaved and thus would have nothing).
i know its not vtec. i was just stating that the way the ls feels when it hits the peak torque, it made me think it had vtec. my post was mostly for tweakydizzy. Mine just doesnt have that much torque on lower rpms due to the ys1 in the ls having such long gearing.

RunninJDM

i know its not vtec. i was just stating that the way the ls feels when it hits the peak torque, it made me think it had vtec. my post was mostly for tweakydizzy. Mine just doesnt have that much torque on lower rpms due to the ys1 in the ls having such long gearing.
Yeah, thats exactly why i asked because my friend said the same thing and it felt like that. I for sure have a b18a1 motor but on my head right below the valve cover it says pr4-2, is that head "Supposed" to be with that motor? I also have a s1-.... transmission? just making sure i have an OK setup. Also is the clutch supposed to be pretty hard to push in like the pressure, because iv never drove a manual that has that much clutch pedal pressure

Last edited:

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Yeah, thats exactly why i asked because my friend said the same thing and it felt like that. I for sure have a b18a1 motor but on my head right below the valve cover it says pr4-2, is that head "Supposed" to be with that motor? I also have a s1-.... transmission? just making sure i have an OK setup. Also is the clutch supposed to be pretty hard to push in like the pressure, because iv never drove a manual that has that much clutch pedal pressure
yes pr4 heads came on the b18a1's. p75's came on b1s as far as I'm aware. and any set up that runs is technically "ok". it all depends what your going for. an ls tranny is great for boost so you can stay in boost longer while a b16 or gsr transmission is theoretically better for all motor so you can pull through gears pretty quick.

and you have a cable transmission. Most people are used to hydro transmissions now so it will feel a little different if you havent driven an older manual car. I'm 6'4" with a pretty athletic build so I;ve never driven a car that had a clutch pedal that felt stiff to me but thats kinda relative to how much gusto your putting behind it.

RunninJDM

yes pr4 heads came on the b18a1's. p75's came on b1s as far as I'm aware. and any set up that runs is technically "ok". it all depends what your going for. an ls tranny is great for boost so you can stay in boost longer while a b16 or gsr transmission is theoretically better for all motor so you can pull through gears pretty quick.

and you have a cable transmission. Most people are used to hydro transmissions now so it will feel a little different if you havent driven an older manual car. I'm 6'4" with a pretty athletic build so I;ve never driven a car that had a clutch pedal that felt stiff to me but thats kinda relative to how much gusto your putting behind it.
Alright cool, and i dont know if its a ls tranny or not. But i am boosting it, once i find out some more info im not trying to rush anything. and yeah im 17 years old, 5'3" haha. Do you know how to find out the specific year that engine came out of cause all i know, is its a 1991 with a swap. So far i have figured out it is a B18A1 and pr4-2 head, s1- tranny. I was reading an article and they aid something about obd- 1 or 2?