automatic shifter stuck in park?

Aqualite_Solid

DB7 no Aston
So I started my car and I tried to shif out of park and its stuck? Its happened once before but it seens to sort its self out. Might be a brake switch maybe? This ever happen to anyone else?

98gsrDc2

stolen....
Yep, push the brake pedal further down if you can.
Or u can turn your key 1 click and shift to neutral and start it...then put it in d or r...or buy a new switch and problem solved :thumbs up

aaks38

i had this problem on a LS automatic, in my case the engine was idling around 1500 rpms and it wouldnt allow me to get out of park. I had to clean out the throttle body and idle passages to fix this problem.

If your brake light comes on, the switch is ok and it could be either high idle or something with the solenoid in the shifter base.

Charly[horse]

Name = John
On the DA's it is a common problem, there is a sensor on the left side of the shifter near the floor (underneath the plastic) It is a smallish rectangular box. If it is broken it wont get out of park or recognize neutral. Mine is partially broken so it does that but pressing on it helps.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Right next to the shifter there is a little slot labeled "shift lever release" Just use another key or something similar and push it in there and it will allow you to change gear. Happened to me quite a few times in the winter and that is what I did.

skinny_chef

I fixed this on my '94 today. It was an intermittent problem, and drove me crazy. When I first got to the car, I would have to use the shift lock release, but anytime after that, it would work properly.

I knew it wasn't the brake pedal sensor, as my lights worked properly, and the solenoid clicked. Ten minute fix was to remove the shift cover and spray the crap out of everything with grease. 20 year old car, and the release lever was getting hung up, not letting me depress the shift knob.

chillin_integra

Chillin_in_my_integra_95
I fixed this on my '94 today. It was an intermittent problem, and drove me crazy. When I first got to the car, I would have to use the shift lock release, but anytime after that, it would work properly.

I knew it wasn't the brake pedal sensor, as my lights worked properly, and the solenoid clicked. Ten minute fix was to remove the shift cover and spray the crap out of everything with grease. 20 year old car, and the release lever was getting hung up, not letting me depress the shift knob.
What brand grease did you use

chillin_integra

Chillin_in_my_integra_95
Can the problem be fixed by replacing your transmission fluid ? I have Heard the problem is caused kuz the tranny fluid is full????? >>>>>>>>>>>>>> is ther anyone out ther that is very good with tranny know how. I don't really wanna start unscrewing things and losing a bolt or whatever (break) something to do with the transmission. I would b so sad to break my 1995 integra sedan 4 dr frost white<<<<looking for a spray can to fix paint"chips" "bumps" haha..... Trying to fix up my somewhat poorly taken care of integra kuz of $$$$ but now have some $$$$ to keep it living a lil bit longer it's at 200,000+ MILES