G2 Integra problems

1991TeGgY Ls

advice PLEASE!!!!!

ok so i drive a 1990 integra ls with 148k i dont know wat the hell to do first the timing chain water pump and the belts or get my transmission fixed...currently the transmission was diagnosed and the mechanic said i have like a year left with it...its at that stage where u push the clutch in and all the noise goes away but when u let it out u hear that graveling noise.....neway i have 500$ and i dont know if i should keep saving like another 4 and get my trannny and get it put in or get all the belts and the timing chain done cause im scared shitless its gonna snap on me and if it does i heard it fuks up ur motor neway can some one please give me advice? thanks

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sounds like some pricey repairs coming up. Are you sure your gonna have this car for a while? That's the first question I would ask myself before putting that much money into a 15 year old car. I say, if your dedicated to the car, change the T-belt and water pump now, and drive the tranny until its dead while you save up for the new one. 148K isn't that bad for a 15 year old car, especially an Integra if it's been treated right through its life. And your right, your pistons can hit your valves if your timing belt breaks on you. It's not guaranteed to happen, but do you really wanna roll the dice on the life of your engine? Honda engines are "interference" type engines, that means the pistons chase the valves. When the valves are closed the pistons are at or near TDC, when the valves are open the pistons are at or near BDC, if the timing belt breaks and the pistons hit TDC while the valves are open, SMACK! Destroyed head and pistons.
In "non interference" engines, if the timing belt breaks there will be no piston to valve contact, they can't reach each other.

1991TeGgY Ls

wow thanks because im definately gonna do the timing belt this week and just drive the tranny till it dies cause if the tranny goes on me atleast i know nothing else is gonna go with it plus i dont think its gonna go to soon but yea definately dont wanna fuk my motor up since it runs like brand new and i change the oil every 2000 miles so yea definately getting that shit done neway thanks