B18c3 Timing Belt Replacement Problem

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
Alright CI.. I just replaced my timing belt and water pump. it all went together good and everything, but I have a problem. My belt isnt tensioning correctly. The spring looks good on the tensioner and everything. I have no idea why it didnt tension up though. So now when I start my car I can hear the belt slapping which isnt good at all. So I havent even gotten to drive it yet. Any suggestions?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
You are supposed to manually crank the belt to get the slack out. You didnt put a new tensioner on? We did just have a thread where somebody was turning it the wrong way, which wasnt removing the slack.

I would stick to not driving it yet.

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
I rotated the crank counter clockwise, no i didnt replace the tensioner because I forgot to buy one and it was saturday and the parts stores couldnt get the part until tuesday. Well, I suppose I'll go out there and try to tension it up again see if it will work or not. I manually cranked it like 6 revolutions and it didnt tighten the slack up. Do u think my tensioner could be bad?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Make sure your tension is just right. Not to much slack but not too tight.

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
yeah It runs perfect now. its got a little slack in it, but barely any. before it was moving like almost half an inch. with all the plastic covers on I could hear it slapping it. it was bad. but now its all good. Thanks again Aussie. your post was most helpful

Greenbling

WHOOAAA!!! he is still kickin!!!! man... havent heard from you in a while... where you been?? Why werent you at the ohio integra meet?????

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
WHOOAAA!!! he is still kickin!!!! man... havent heard from you in a while... where you been?? Why werent you at the ohio integra meet?????
Yo whats up green? Yeah . Well, my car just got registered and inspected and insured last friday, and I replaced my timing belt and water pump just because I wanted it to be all fresh. Thats basically why i didnt go to the ohio meet. Looked like a lot of fun. too bad I couldnt have been there. Next meet I'll for sure be there though.