Which 5 spd fluid

Afireinside

Allright i'm about to do a manual transmission flush on a 94 LS this weekend. I have read all the debates on 10-30, red line, royal purple,honda MTF and GM sycro mesh.
So my question is what is actually is the best?
I would like to do this once for a while my car is always maintained and it's time to do a tranny flush. I want something that will last another 20-50,000 miles and shift smoothly. I have no grinds and smooth shifts and i'd like to keep it that way.
I would think honda is the way to go but if something is comparable or better I would like to use it.
Thanks.

j13

Keep It Clean
I have a 4 spd auto but I've read about this. I think the main 2 you should be thinking about are Honda MTF or GM sycro mesh.

In my honest opinion, I would use GM sycro mesh because ALOT of Honda heads say its good stuff. Goodluck.

HondaDNA

Don't use red line, there is an additive in it that doesn't like plastic. Honda's have plastic cages around the bearings in the transmissions. The new Honda MTF is thin stuff like 5-20, if you can get some old stock then your ok but I wouldn't use the new stuff. GM sycro mesh is cheap and does the job just right. I my self use 15w 40 diesel oil and some Lucas oil stabilizer, I get it free from work so why not..

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
im using sync mesh and i have no complaints :thumbs up
you should change out your transmission belt while youre at it too

Afireinside

I dont have any grinds in any gears currently and I'd like to keep it that way. Is the g.m stuff for a trans thats already grinding or is it fine. If 10-30 synthetic will do the trick then maybe thats what i should use.
You can come replace my trans belt if you feel the urge:roll:
Thanks for the info.

mirrorimg

Dont use 10w-30 weight oil. It is only to be used as a TEMPORARY replacement until you can service it with real MTF.

Honda MTF is actually now Acura's re-engineered MTF. I use Acura MTF.

Gebo

I use AMSOIL Manual Trans Fluid. I just changed mine today and it is a lot easier to add from the top of the engine with a funnel and plastic hose.