Cpeehler7 Build/Race Thread

Nick_C78

Yeah that was where I was getting at, but he is still learning thus why I suggested that camber. Still a bit much, but im more of a road race guy. I just know autocross uses more pos rear

cpeehler7

Banned
Hmm good to know. I know a lot of guys with type Rs are running somewhere along the lines of 3-3.5 front and 2-3 rear. I have to have about 2 degrees rear for the tire to clear the wheel well without rubbing. So I'll probably put as little as possible in the rear without rubbing. I know a little toe in on the rear is good, and a bit of toe out of front, but since it's also a DD I'll go neutral on that, at least for this and next season.

The car as it is right now is just a little too pushy, even with the backwards setup on it. When I drive right, it has just enough rotation to be quick, but it's hard to get the back swinging right. On my fastest run from last event it did, even though I missed the brake pedal in arguable the most important corner, I was still a hundredth faster on that lap than my previous very clean lap. I had just the right amount of rotation through the mini slaloms. Felt fantastic out there.

I like the advice given so far though, I'll probably have to have 2 degrees negative in the rear, and maybe run 3 up front. I'll try to get another video of me racing again, I borrowed a gopro for that one above. Sadly that was some pretty poor driving on my part. Well not exactly that bad for a novice, but not nearly as good as I can drive. I left a good 2 seconds out there easy, which is a massive chunk of time!

The new rear sway bar should help me get the ass out a little more. Having the rear springs 100lbs heavier than the front also may help a bit too, as well as the adjustable damping. As of now though, I'm just getting as much seat time as possible, worrying about the car setup too much is probably going to hurt me. I've been trolling around on roadraceautox, bumped into a few guys I know from racing on there and we talked a bit. I took some ride alongs with them, and dragged them in my car for a few runs. Get more perspectives on my driving, and sit in with some borderline national level guys. (They're running an STF Mazda 3 and may qualify for nationals this year).

So just seeing how they enter corners is huge for me. That's my biggest issue, after I sat in with one of them, I sort of copied their wide entries to get a straighter shot into some slaloms, and was more aggressive on the wheel, within one run I dropped half a second. I was around 37, then dropped to 36.5xx. I'll put a picture of the results up, that'll make a bit more sense.

Like I said, unfortunately my foot slipped of the brake on a fast corner leading into a straight, so I ended up turning a straight into a sort of Z pattern. I honestly thing that could have been a half second plus mistake. But that run was just so clean in every other way it was still a winning time. On the bright side, I know the car, and myself have a lot more to give hah.

cpeehler7

Banned
Here are the results, they are live, so they will only be until the next event. I can take a screen shot of it and upload it when the results are about to change.

http://live.wny-scca.com/

If I can get some clean runs in I think I'll be on par with the slowest guys in our pro category. I'd really like to get up to their level by the end of the season. I know the car isn't really finished or setup yet, but might as well aim high and push the car as far as I can. I've learned a whole lot in a short amount of time this season. I have to give a quick shout out to the guys on Club Integra, and all the guys at WNY SCCA too. I've had dozens of people helping me out this season. Hell the guy helping me build my car drove to his shop on 5 minutes notice to fix my front end after I fucked up the ball joints so I wouldn't miss a race hahah. It's funny how nice every car guy who races is, because all you see online are the guys trying to measure their digital dick size calling everyone gay all the time lol.

Last edited:

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
do you know what the stock GSR sway bar size is?

I know what you mean about the wider turns to cut the corners shorter. I did that in my last event on my final run. It felt good and I didn't spin the front wheels like I was on the first 3 runs. I feel better about controlling my car around wide turns. The slalom for me was natural
Good luck on your next event and post back about your results with the new setup

cpeehler7

Banned
Yeah the stock GSR swaybar was 14mm. The one I put on is a 22, but it measured at 22.4mm. That's quite a difference, very noticeable on the highway even. Looking forward to seeing how it feels on the track. The stock GSR swaybar is like a toothpick, such a good/cheap upgrade. Hell I only spend $50 on the progress, not even a days work. I couldn't pass that up.

cpeehler7

Banned
Are you using the 22mm without a rear subframe brace?
Yes, any subframe bracing is against Street touring rules. So I unfortunately can't run one, unless I go up to street mod class. Which I don't have the money for. I'd need to go turbo and 10" wheels up front.

Nick_C78

Soo...to "save money" you run the risk of tearing your subframe? Not sure that is a wise decision. Maybe autocross doesn't put enough g-forces though like a real track would...Still makes me cringe. Crazy that street touring is that much of a difference...

cpeehler7

Banned
Soo...to "save money" you run the risk of tearing your subframe? Not sure that is a wise decision. Maybe autocross doesn't put enough g-forces though like a real track would...Still makes me cringe. Crazy that street touring is that much of a difference...
Well it's not to save money, it was either the Progress sway bar, or the 24mm ASR rear sway bar. I know of quite a few guys running the ASR without a brace with no issues. You rarely even hit 55 in autocross, so I don't think it will be a real issue. If it becomes one for any reason, I'm sure the dude helping me build the car can help, he knows how to weld and s***.

I'm only saving money because it was either, buy the used bar, or buy a new ASR bar. I would get the subframe bracing if I was allowed to.

Also, supposedly progress claims a brace is not required for the 22" swaybar. I didn't call them personally, but that is what I've been told/read online.

Last edited:

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Autocross corners are slow and tight. I don't shift out of 2nd gear and not going any faster than 50mph on short straights. Autocross is apples to oranges on track race. We don't need rollbars on stock touring :D

Nick_C78

Honda themselves reinforced the subframe on the type r to run the type r rear sway, which is 22mm...so if honda reinforces the subframe to run 22mm I would think its a good idea. Not what some aftermarket company claims... I get it though, autocross is just playing around, but still. I would much rather run stock sway and just get stiffer rear springs vs running the risk of any subframe damage.

You guys need some better gearing though for that small stuff. 96 spec JDM ITR trans with a 4.9 would probably kill at autocross.

cpeehler7

Banned
Honda themselves reinforced the subframe on the type r to run the type r rear sway, which is 22mm...so if honda reinforces the subframe to run 22mm I would think its a good idea. Not what some aftermarket company claims... I get it though, autocross is just playing around, but still. I would much rather run stock sway and just get stiffer rear springs vs running the risk of any subframe damage.

You guys need some better gearing though for that small stuff. 96 spec JDM ITR trans with a 4.9 would probably kill at autocross.
Yeah, in general the Type R is a great autocross car. Unfortunately, swapping parts over to the GSR would strangely put it into prepared class. If I want to run with some ITR stuff, I just need to suck it up and buy one. Which maybe some day I will, they're still pretty competitive cars nationally. A lot of real serious guys will get different sized wheels to "change" the gearing of their cars depending on the track. I don't really care too much, but it would help a lot to have shorter gear ratios. Always hovering around 5000rpm at autocross. Usually right out of the power.

One of the more surprising cars that has been wining at nationals is the BMW 2002. Damn car from the 70s is winning F street prepared still hahah. That's be a fun car to drive, but I'm sure that'd be at least a $30k project...

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!

I get what your saying.

Now, shorter gear ratio would be the best option, and I think we can swap an ITR tranny without bumping us out of stock class. But don't quote me on that

FIXED

Last edited: