Timing belt and water pump repair question

Integra95SE

My teg need it done by 183,585 which will be exacly 90k. Have no money to fix it yet. Its about 50 miles from that mark. How long could i safely drive without doing the repair till i have the money? Any general ideas? My teg is a 95 SE 2 door with the non VTEC motor.

bradster101

Just dont drive the crap out of it and you should be fine - thats just the recommened time

im at 175 k and ill need mine done soon but im not too worried, just dont beat it to death

mirrorimg

It could go at any time. Theres a reason why they say the service mileage on the belt is 90k. Its because thats the safe usage life span of the belt. Anytime after that, and its like holding a live grenade. It can last for a while, but you really wont know until it snaps.

Prozon

Kris
Yup, that timing belt could go and blow you to bits at any time. :D

I wouldn't really risk it, but there's not to much to do if you can't afford it.

96PurpGS-R

LOLUMAD?
I'm at 179xxx miles right now. I took the valve cover off a few days ago, and checked the timing belt. Luckily, mine was still in good condition. I used some kind of Aviation sealant aka "Elephant Glue", that my boss had, to seal the cover. No leaks.

nickcteg

It could go at any time. Theres a reason why they say the service mileage on the belt is 90k. Its because thats the safe usage life span of the belt. Anytime after that, and its like holding a live grenade. It can last for a while, but you really wont know until it snaps.
Very true. I bought my teg almost 4 years with 93k miles and took it to shop to have timing belt changed and last month my timing belt went out with 122k miles. When we took everything apart the shop that supposedly changed it didn't and charged me for it anyways. The belt was still the original belt and i was amazed that belt lasted that long haha.

Just be careful cause when we changed mine out last month, i had to replace timing belt, idler bearing, water pump and exh cam cause it didn't ripe the belt in half. All it did was sheer half the teeth off. Got off very luck. So don't push it to much or hard. I should have had a blown motor but was lucky as hell pistons didn't hit valves!

Prozon

Kris
You changed your whole cam? You could have swapped the cam gear alone if that was the problem.

You should sue that shop. If you have proof it's the original belt. And even if it went out in 30k miles that should be enough. If it would have damaged your engine i'm sure you could sue for a new one. ;)