Lining up timing belt problem

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
I put on a new head gasket and head studs this weekend. When putting the belt back together I can't get the marks to line up. Any help would be appreciated. I didn't change the belt, just trying to line everything back up. I thought it might be the tension, so I set the tensioner 3 times and it all ends up the same. Could it be off a tooth?

Here are some pics to help describe what I'm talking about. This is all when rotating the motor counterclockwise. If I rotate back a bit clockwise I can get everything to line up perfect, tdc with the cams lining up??

TDC

How the camgears line up TDC

Cam gears lined up

And the crank pulley when the cam gears are lined up

speedin

The Transporter
Take the belt off and redo it. I think you need to aline the crank and gears. then put on the belt. My guess is the crank moved while the head was off?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
I took the belt off the gears and tried lining everything up again and it ended up the same way. Do you know if the crank pulley could be shifted at all? I was beating on it with an impact gun to get it off but failed. So I'm changing the belt another weekend, I just wanted to get the head studs in.

speedin

The Transporter
I took the belt off the gears and tried lining everything up again and it ended up the same way. Do you know if the crank pulley could be shifted at all? I was beating on it with an impact gun to get it off but failed. So I'm changing the belt another weekend, I just wanted to get the head studs in.
I doubt the pulley came loose. And as for moving. Their are pegs (or some sort of locking thing) that keeps it from moving.

Your most likely going to have to take the belt off and redo the belt. Basically the timing belt procedure :(

Oh and yea, id just do a new timing belt while your in their. I just hope your not planning on driving it how it is right now.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
I reset the belt 3 times and it all ends up the same. The car drives the same as it did before so I'm not sure what the issue is. I have a new belt to put on I just can't get the pullet bolt out.

speedin

The Transporter
I reset the belt 3 times and it all ends up the same. The car drives the same as it did before so I'm not sure what the issue is. I have a new belt to put on I just can't get the pullet bolt out.
So you have had it off, then lined up the gears and the crank. Put the belt on, and it gets back off again?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I don't see what the problem is, I understand your exhaust cam is off a litlle but depending on how many miles the engine has on it thats normal, it looks fine, that little bit isn't going to hurt anything. The biggest thing is making sure the crankpulley lines up, The exhaust cam just might not be sitting right, maybe worn lobes, who know, could be anything. Anyways, the problem isn't lying in your timing belt so I wouldn't worry about it there.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
I don't see what the problem is, I understand your exhaust cam is off a litlle but depending on how many miles the engine has on it thats normal, it looks fine, that little bit isn't going to hurt anything. The biggest thing is making sure the crankpulley lines up, The exhaust cam just might not be sitting right, maybe worn lobes, who know, could be anything. Anyways, the problem isn't lying in your timing belt so I wouldn't worry about it there.
But note how the crank pulley lines up when the cams ARE aligned. Really pulling the belt, and lining it up should do it.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
But note how the crank pulley lines up when the cams ARE aligned. Really pulling the belt, and lining it up should do it.
Right, but the main thing is getting the crank pulley lined up because when it is the intake cam is centered properly its the exhaust cam thats off a little which is why I think that cam might just need to be adjusted a little.

speedin

The Transporter
Right, but the main thing is getting the crank pulley lined up because when it is the intake cam is centered properly its the exhaust cam thats off a little which is why I think that cam might just need to be adjusted a little.
Looking at the gears... its not even a tooth of difference on the cam :shock:. WTH? Also with that shot (when the crank is all lined up) I cant really tell what one is off, and what one is true?

Bad tensioner maybe??? Thats all I can think of that will compensate that little amount. And adjusting the cam???? Elaborate, like with the belt off moving it? Because (as far as ive seen) stock cams have only 1 way/position they can get on.

Note the slots.

Last edited:

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I know he wanted to put a new tensioner in, he had a new oem belt and tensioner. THAT CRANK WAS BEIN A SLUT!!! PB blaster didnt even cut it.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
I know he wanted to put a new tensioner in, he had a new oem belt and tensior. THAT CRANK WAS BEIN A SLUT!!! PB blaster didnt even cut it.

Here is the sequence just to double check.....
TI.net said:
Tensioning the timing belt

a) Before tensioning the timing belt, double check to make sure that the cam gears and crankshaft are still at TDC. It is very easy to rotate them accidentally while putting on the new timing belt, so make sure they are still positioned correctly.
b) Tighten the 14mm timing belt tensioner bolt to put tension on the belt
c) Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 4 to 6 rotations so that the timing belt positions its self on the gears. Then, set the crankshaft back to TDC.
d) Once you've done that, rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise until the cam gears rotate exactly 3 teeth. Loosen the 14mm tensioner bolt and then torque it to 40 ft-lbs. The belt should be on there nice and firm without any noticeable play around the belt. One last and final time before putting everything back together, check to make sure that when the crankshaft is at TDC the cam gears are at TDC as well.

Install crank pulley.

And the marks to take note of

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yea it's definetly just a little play in the valvetrain, its no big deal, I wouldn't even worry about it, just put the new belt on and be done with it.