2nd Gen Integra, Old School but New to Me

Drobins413

Good afternoon all,

I'm new to the Club Integra experience and this past December I just purchased my first car, which is a 1990 Acura Integra.

I really enjoy cruising around Los Angeles and being able to bump the music of my choice. It has been a really fun experience for me and I want to be one of those guys who is able to say that he has taken care of his car since day one.

It has about 170 thousand miles on him, I've named my car Jubei after one my favorite animes entitled Ninja Scroll.

It's also cool that I don't have to drive that far for work which is a really big plus because this way I know that I'm not putting to much of a strain on him and I can still fix'em up and be able to make it to point A and point B with no problems.

I hope that I'm posting my inquiries on the correct forum, but I do have some concerns about the trunk area of my car.

I'm in the process of saving up for a new timing belt operation and other things in order to keep Jubei running smoothly.

While cleaning out the trunk I noticed a great deal of rust, which you will be able to see in the following photos:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I wanted to know what could be done in the future in order to fix this problem or if it even can be fixed. And also how it can be prevented.

I understand that rust comes with the territory of having a car but I do want to be able to maintain it as best as I possibly can.

Now I've decided to post this question here instead driving all the way to my mechanic's shop, which isn't that from me but if the question could be understood and answered here on Club Integra, I thought let me give it a shot.

Thank you in advance for all of your time.

Mikeinteg

Rust is a cancer, and like a cancer it doesnt stop until its host is fully engulfed! But there are ways to nearly stop its progression. Get a wire brush, go to town. Clean the area, get a heavy grit sand paper, go to town, get a lighter grit sand paper, go to town, repeat with a lighter sand paper. Depending on how deep the rust went use fiberglass filler or bondo filler. Then Primer, and paint. There are tons of videos on youtube. Goodluck

Drobins413

Thanks Mike,

And I apologize for responding super late but at least I know this is something I can try to tackle myself.

While I'm on the forum today I do want to seek advise on another issue that is bothering me,

Earlier this week in Downtown Los Angeles there was a heavy downpour of rain. It happened suddenly around 5:00pm and only lasted that one day.

Afterwards in the morning I had a really hard time getting the car to start. I had to apply a little bit of gas which was unusual but I was able to make it to work. That evening I made it home and decided to move my car, I was able to and right before I finished parking I decided to turn the car off to see if the issue still persisted.

I then went to start the car again and this time couldn't, no matter how much applied gas to the car it wouldn't start. I went to sleep thinking that it needed to rest as much I did, when I woke up I was able to start it up after a second stall and I drove to my Autozone to get a battery check up. I was told I needed a new battery so since I was under warranty with my auto shop I got it replaced. I drove to work, was able to get home, then yesterday it wouldn't start at all.

I got it towed and was told that it was a distributor issue.

I let it sit at the shop for a day, just got it back and right before I left the stall happened twice.

I didn't even mention that before this I got stuck on a side street thinking I was out of gas and I was a top of hill away from a gas station, but with a little bit of gas pressure I got it to start up. But the issue still seems to be there.

I made it home today but I don't the car to turn off on me while I'm a major street in Los Angeles.

I also wanted to know if the after market stereo could have something to do with start up issues because I was told that the battery shouldn't be issue, after I got it replaced, because the car wouldn't start up at all if it were a battery issue.

Could the rain really have affected my car that much?

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated, so that I may take note of this issue in the future

Thank you in advance for your time in reading my amateur tuning issues

Ganyon

Maybe check the main relay to see if it's still good.