1990 Integra Gs starting problems?

90AcuraIntegra

Car was dead one day, After leaving the lights on, Went and got some jumper cables and the car crunk up fine, Went to take them cables off and the Positive cable on the battery was loose and it disconnected, Then the car cut off, So i reconnected it made sure they was tighteded down, Went to start it and nothing. All it will do is turn over. Any ideas on this? Also the car ran PERFECTLY fine, Up until this happened. Please help.!! 2 weeks without my integra is to long

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
I have a 1990 gs as well. I had almost the same problem. Any one of the following things will give you intermittent spark and your car will run perfectly until one of them starts to go bad: main fuel relay, pick up coil, ignition coil, distributor, and cap/rotor. For me, I replaced my cap and rotor, then distributor (which came with new ignition coil), then main fuel relay, and it ended up being the pick up coil.

Cripton805

The battery might be bad and doesnt hold a charge anymore.

Change the battery or borrow one. Im pretty sure about this

Doug

I had a related problem with my 90 RS. One day last January it refused to start. Battery fine, turned over fine, would not fire. Had to be towed. Mechanic diagnosed a burned-out coil, replaced the entire distributor, started right up since then.

Till yesterday. No workee for about fifteen minutes of periodic attempts. I left it parked where it was and missed my physician appointment. But this morning before calling AAA for a tow truck, I thought I'd try to start it to see if I was about to make a fool of myself with the tow truck driver. Lo and behold, it started right up, no prob. So I immediately took it to the car doctor.

The mechanics suspected the aftermarket distributor they'd installed (which costs half as much as Honda's), but also tried a few other things. They replaced a relay switch and the problem seems solved again. I'll know more in the next few days, LOL. Apparently that particular relay (dunno which one) may fail to work if it gets hot, and my car had been standing for a few hours in the California sun yesterday, while this morning it was still cool. By afternoon at the mechanic's, it refused to start. Out came that relay and it works. Good old trial and error.