Rev limiter help

JDot66

So I got a 93 civic vx with a 2000 integra motor, bottom end is built and I push 6psi. my problem is the kid I bought it from is the kinda person who puts exhaust gasket sealer all over his head gasket when installing, im not sure what ECU its using ( haven't checked ) however its being tuned by a vtec controller atm and the rev limiter is hitting at about 5900 rmps. this is incredibly irritating for my turbo and power band, any way I can raise it without getting it chipped or getting another ECU? Im not talking the stupid shit kids do these days wanting to go 8900 on a stock motor, I wanna go maybe 7800. Any help would be appreciated

Prozon

Kris
I have no idea what that's talking about with the vTec controller whatnot, however if you want to adjust the rev limiter you would have to chip the ECU. (Or change these vTec controller settings..?)

I'm sure someone else will chime in lol.

lsvhatch

Miss my car!!!!
I would try to find out why it's only revving to 5900. A vtec controller shouldn't be the cause for that

lsvhatch

Miss my car!!!!
Find out what ecu you have and pull the top cover off and see if it's been chipped. If it is the tune may just be garbage.

michaelz

doesn't sound like it's tuned properly.

even if you manage to increase the rev limit, a rubbish tune will grenade your engine so i would get the thing tuned properly or at the very least check the current Air:Fuel ratios.

lsvhatch

Miss my car!!!!
Also if it has a vtec ecu get rid of that damn vtec controller and chip your ecu with Crome or something similar and tune it. I would say someone messed with the vtec controller and when it goes to pop vtec it stops so to speak. That's where you would get you rev limiter.

JDot66

I think its a b18 b1 or a1, its not a vtec ecu but the vtec controller is used to tune air fuel to help boost spool sooner, sense it has no time to spool naturally, it creates a really hard pull from 4400-5900 how ever I know the engines build can hold 7800+ and has much power band in the 6k range, the ghetto work is terrible, back to the questions. How would I know if its chipped already? and how much would a basic tune cost and would they be able to raise the rev limiter with this chip?

I think when he says "vtec controller" he is referring to an Apexi Vafc. If so, get rid of that piggy back bullshit and get a proper chipped ECU. Have a good tune done, and you're golden. Simple as that.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
vtec controllers are shit get a real dyno tune. do you have a code because there is no reason you should be hitting the rev limit at 5900 unless you are in limp mode but thats only for knock sensor enabled ecus

JDot66

No Code untill I crack boost at the end of third, yeah its a Apexi Vtec AFC and they spliced it into the harness cause the ECU isn't vtec. not even sure how I would go about that process unless I replace the harness. BUT getting a tune will in fact fix my rev limiter issue?