The day i join CI is the day my timing belt breaks

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
well i just joined CI today in the morning and while driving to work POP goes my timing belt :cry:
worst thing is i just passed a rail road track really slowly cause my car is slammed low and i was going about 15-20mph and POP i hear the belt breaks and a couple of metal twisting noises!!!! my guess is my valves are toast!!!! but luckily i got a GSR head but i dont got the funds to install at the moment :oops:

anybody knows how check if valves are still good besides removing the head??? compression test?? what else??? and i also tried to start the car 5 times!!!! it sounded like it wants to go on and it actually shakes a lil but nothing!!!! FML PLEASE HELP ANY ADVICE FROM THE WISE???

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
compression test is really the only thing you can do without taking the head off

if you hear metal when it broke, your valves are deff. bent

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
did compression test yes their gone!!!!!gotta use my GSR head.......man i like CI best forum ever lol I use to be on houston240.com and those people were rude and unhelpful....

mirrorimg

U Gotta put a belt in it for the compression test
You dont need it for a leakdown test.

You pressurize the cylinder with a compressed air tank when the piston is in TDC. Of course you need the cams to be in proper alignment when the piston is, so you can just move the cams manually, so the timing marks align, matching the piston position.

If your cylinder cant maintain pressure, you have a problem in that cylinder.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i snapped my timing belt on the way up a mountain (11pm) for some twisty roads and my car just died really slow.

i towed it home the following day, found out i shaved the teeth off the belt, lined it all up, reinstalled the new one, ran beautifully.

97GSRVTEC

Thats really surprising because arent most integras interference engines? If belt breaks, valves get bent to hell? Im sort of new to integras but thats just what i have heard.

mirrorimg

You still should have checked it Coy.

LS's are less prone to valves slapping the pistons because they have more of a Lope to them. When they rotate into their open position/closed position, theres is more tension on them holding them in place. VTEC motors have a smoother spinning cam, and they are more likely to have piston/valve contact.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i dont think i need to. it runs strong and isnt blowing out any smoke. no odd noises or anything. i'll get it checked eventually..

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
well i towed my car home 5 minutes ago now....i opened the valve cover and realized my spark plugs and wire in cylinder #2 and #3 were full of oil!!!.....engine internals also look NEW!! im assuming it was rebuilt recently before i bought it cause it also has 221k and running REAL strong....gotta wait until thursday to open up the motor and do some work.....my wife promised me a ITR motor if my valves are toast!!! Crossing my fingers for the worst lol ^-^ i rather have 100% authentic ITR motor then LS VTEC