How much should the water pump/timing belt cost?

newtype

1998 Integra GS
<83,000 Miles

How much should it cost to get these things repaired? I don't have the time or know how to do it myself, so I'm willing to pay extra to get it done and get it done right -- but I don't want to get raped on the cost.

While I'm here, what causes the car to sound like a "beater?" You know, when you drive past a building to can definitely hear something as the car goes by...

What's your opinion?

Surferman

It cost me 750 total for timming belt, few other belts, waterpump, and camshaft seal thingy.
This was at a Honda stealership though. Like almost 2 years ago. I do everything else on my car but leave that stuff to them.
You can get it alot cheaper from someone else though. Just make sure there legit. The parts arnt what kill you its all the labor.

72Spitfire

Probably around $600. Use OEM timing belt, belt tensioner and water pump. Always change the water pump at the same time.

00DC2TW

take it to a Honda Dealership instead of Acura, they usually have better prices, coupons, etc.

phatintegra

Banned
$350 - $600

I get mine done for $350 parts/labor at a friend shop. That also incld. tensioner/water pump.

Last edited:

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
first time i changed the timing belt and water pump by myself. all i had were a few tools and a teardown/rebuild manual. got the timing spot-on without a timing gun ;)

the smog guy looked over my car and checked the timing.

smog guy: who did the timing?
me: i did. is it off?
smog guy: did you use a gun?
me: nah. i just lined everything up when i replaced it.
smog guy: damn. i dont think i could get it that perfect without it
me: 'brushes off shoulder'

newtype

Thanks for all of the responses.

The acura/honda specialty shop I usually use quoted me $475 for both, and the guy also said 3-4 other things are included with that service as well.

Can you guys recommend anything else I should ask them to do or check on the car at this particular mileage? The manual has several things that should be checked around this time, but I still love to hear what you guys think.

poordc2

it cost me 300 for a gsr and that was just the timing belt, tensioner, seals for the crank, valve cover gasket kit, and dont forget to ask if they have a discount for buying the timing belt kit cause the guy at honda gave me that discount so just be sure to ask for one