need aftermarket intake heat reduction tips?

treybombRW

ok so i have an aem short ram intake.. soon to be a cold air intake.. i'm wondering what material or product i could wrap around my intake pipe to prevent engine bay heat from turning my cold air intake into a warm air intake.... and do you have to remove the front bumper to remove the air intake resonator box? or is it possible to remove it by taking out the wheel well cover and skid plate? and undo the bolts from under the bumper/ hood?

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Why are you going to a cold air intake? Wraping it will do nothing, I dont see where you get the air turns warm? I'm not sure for second gen, but third gen you need to remove the bumper and fender liner.

treybombRW

well i find after driving around for a while the pipe under the hood gets really warm and sometimes even hot and it seems like my car gets a little lazy. and i don't want the cold air being collected to warm up as it enters the section of pipe under the hood.... because that just defeats the purpose of a cai. at least i think that sounds logical.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
That's gonna happen with anything. if anything, it'll be the same as the sri. The short ram gets a bit warmer air that the cai, but the air in the cai has a longer distance to travel. In the end, the air temp is about the same for both.

cre-asian1

i would do a cai cause the air filter is out of the engine bay and not in the engine bay with that being said it will draw in the cooler denser air from underneath which will result more hp than a short ram intake and do not and i mean do not wrap your intake tube you will probally be mad fun of more ways than you can shake a stick at so about the pipe getting hot its normal mines get hot but that does not mean the air going in is going to be hot it may be warm but alot cooler than a short ram so i hope that gave you alittle better understanding about short ram and cold air intakes

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
i would do a cai cause the air filter is out of the engine bay and not in the engine bay with that being said it will draw in the cooler denser air from underneath which will result more hp than a short ram intake and do not and i mean do not wrap your intake tube you will probally be mad fun of more ways than you can shake a stick at so about the pipe getting hot its normal mines get hot but that does not mean the air going in is going to be hot it may be warm but alot cooler than a short ram so i hope that gave you alittle better understanding about short ram and cold air intakes
You are referring to heat soak that people often talk about as an issue with short ram intakes. I have owned my SRI for over a year, daily driven and in temps over 100 degrees and I have never had an issue with this.
Use washers and a longer bolt to raise the rear of your hood. It will lower IAT temperatures alot
This^