Duplicolor DIY caliper paint

voltagebluedc2

Hi guys and girls, here are the pics from my Duplicolor Caliper paint kit project:
It cost me $16 at Kragen, but I'm sure any auto store will have this product.

1st got the car up on jacks:
The reason I did this was so I could do everything at once.

My brake dust covered front passenger side caliper:
Pretty nasty, take extra precaution not to inhale any loose brake dust because it may contain asbestos! I would definately recommend wearing a painters mask while cleaning.

After cleaning with the supplied caliper cleaner:
I basically generously sprayed on the provided caliper cleaner and scrubbed off all the brake dust I possibly could. I sprayed with caliper cleaner, then scrubbed with a tooth brush, then wiped off with a rag. For my last cleaning, I sprayed on the caliper cleaner liberally, to the point where it was dripping off, then wiped off the excess brake dust. It took me about 4 cleanings to get to this product. Make sure to clean off as much as possible or the paint wont stick.
Note: place some newspaper under your caliper when you do this!

After taping off and 3 coats of paint:
I basically taped off everything I didnt want excess paint to get on using the supplied masking tape. Rip small pieces to get in between tight fitting areas. If you are extremely careful, you can use minimal tape, as I did here. Do three light coats, one every 15-20 minutes. Because the paint is enamel you dont want to go over an area you did over an hour ago. Try to finish up painting the caliper within a one hour span, or you'll have to come back to it after a couple days!
Note: you might not want to use the brush supplied because I noticed some of the bristles would fall off and get stuck onto the paint. I made that mistake and some bristles were left on the other calipers. My cousin avoided this mistake by using a brush he bought from home depot.

Tape off, and wheels back on, the finished product!:
As the supplied directions say, let it sit for 2 hrs before putting the wheels back on. Let cure for 24 hours or else the paint will flake off!

More pics up later after the paint fully cures and I get a chance to wash my car!

Also, you can find an instructional video on www.duplicolor.com, definately worth watching first.
These are just a couple hints, follow the directions supplied with the kit and all should go well! Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
hey put in alot more details on the steps. i wanna stick this! also thinking of doing this. but what color is killing me

voltagebluedc2

speedin said:
hey put in alot more details on the steps. i wanna stick this! also thinking of doing this. but what color is killing me
allright, i elaborated a little more, hope this helps, btw... the Duplicolor kit only comes in Yellow, Blue, Black, Silver and Red. Not much selection IMO.. I originally wanted to do gold.

Last edited:

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
why dont you take the caliper apart so you dont have to tape anything off. you can clean it while it stil on but then take it apart to spray it up. just a thought but good write up

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
i removed the wheels

after the wheels were removed, i went through a can of brake clean and a wire brush to clean up the calipers and the hubs. you should paint the hubs if you can afford center caps like me.

took pics to show what it would look like with the bronze wheel.

the results

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
I've been thinking about doing this, now that I got the 17 on the teg, but I just wouldnt know what color to go with

8urcivic

do a color that accents a small feature on your car, i did silver to bring out the silver lip

R1DC2

Got Integra?
I bought some of that duplicolor caliper paint in black and have it for almost 1 year now. never had a chance to paint my calipers, lol. ill post some pics soon, becuz i plan on painting them eventually!

8urcivic

soo the stuff i used definalty sucked!!!! the shit washed right off. after seeing this i went straight to the parts department at work and had to order some duplicolor paint. only paid 13 dollars with my discount so it was no big deal. now the calipers are redone ill take some more pics soon and post. btw i chose to go woth black this time cuz they were out of GOLD!!!

voltagebluedc2

OK, heres an update on this post... DO NOT BUY THIS KIT, THE PAINT IS CHIPPING OFF ALREADY< EVEN AFTER 3 COATS!!!!. Buyer beware!!

g3teg97

Super Moderator
voltagebluedc2 said:
OK, heres an update on this post... DO NOT BUY THIS KIT, THE PAINT IS CHIPPING OFF ALREADY< EVEN AFTER 3 COATS!!!!. Buyer beware!!
How long has it been since you painted them?