Misfiring??

Ahdiofreak

B16a, chipped P28. When I'm on the gas and I'm in the 2k rpm range, the car kinda misfires. Hasn't done this before and started noticing it more and more lately. It only does it under load. So I changed my ignition coil and its still the same. I put an LS ecu in and it went away.. Could my ecu be going bad?

Noneed2Hate

I'm not totally sure but I'd imagine since the firing order etc is handled by the Distributor the ECU shouldn't have any effect? Unless it effects how fast or slow the dizzy rotor spins?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There are 2 likely possibilities - mechanical issues with ignition or a tuning issue. See if you can get your chipped P28 flashed back to a stock B16 base map or find a local tuner. Also you want to make sure you entire ignition system is maintained. Get new spark plugs, new plug wires, new cap and rotor.

Nick_C78

Dylan would also recommend a valve adjustment

Ahdiofreak

I've changed spark plugs, my rotor, and ignition coil. I still need to change the cap tho. I feel like it may be my tune because my car runs really rich. Also it went away when i changed out my ecu. Can running rich cause my car to bog down and sound like its misfiring?

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Yes. If you had a wideband you would know exactly what your air fuel ratio was instead of guessing.