Fuel economy has gotten worse.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Any OEM replacement injector will be the same CC and shouldnt require tuning. The stock ECU can handle small variations (<5%) in fuel via the primary O2 sensor.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Any OEM replacement injector will be the same CC and shouldnt require tuning. The stock ECU can handle small variations (<5%) in fuel via the primary O2 sensor.
I think thats true except for the civic hx/vx ones.But those are civics...

K3Ntegra

I went to: http://repairpal.com/

Wow, it seems the mechanic's shop was really charging $135 for one injector. This compounded with the fact, that all the reputable places I've come across don't supply warranty against botched jobs with customer supplied parts.

I'm assuming only line required to be disconnected is crankcase ventilation hose, to relive fuel pressure, after removing the gas cap.

I read, on diesel vehicles the fuel injector pressure can reach 1000 psi when removing them, and therefore dangerous.

This is the best guide I've come across for reaching the fuel injectors.

Last edited:

K3Ntegra

After replacing fuel injectors (re-manufactured) and a leaking fuel filter, there was no improvement in fuel economy.

It seems the new cam shaft seal installed, is holding up.

Next logical step seems to be, to go back using a cheap full syn oil, due to 'reduced friction' compared to conv-oil.

My main concern is if I go back to conv-oil for a 2nd time, then the fuel economy will be worse now, than it already is. Before I used syn oil for the first time, my mechanic may have used syn-blend.

CEL hasn't come back, but its still too early to tell. If it does come back, ignition coil seems like the next best step, according to google searching.

There has been less to no fumes, and car acceleration doesn't 'noticeably increase acceleration' after 5,000 RPMs, i.e. better acceleration from low RPMs, and less need to downshift.

Last edited:

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
Unless i missed it, you didnt say anything about changing your air filter. That could be dirty and clogged.
Other than that man
Tire pressure
Ignition timing
After checking all that i would seafoam it through a vacuum hose*.

How old is your cat?

Last edited:

K3Ntegra

Unless i missed it, you didnt say anything about changing your air filter. That could be dirty and clogged.
Other than that man
Tire pressure
Ignition timing
After checking all that i would seafoam it through a vacuum hose*.

How old is your cat?
Checked the engine air filter, looked 'clean'; changed around 20k miles ago. Checked tire pressure a week after rotating tires, and inflated as needed. Mechanic said distributor (ignition) timing was fine, but I'm not certain he measured it precisely.

Got the car at 140k from a dealership. I don't think the cat's ever been changed. Didn't fail emission inspection back in September.

Edit:
After switching back to synthetic oil with 'Pennzoil Platinum' (MSRP: $25), fuel economy seems to reach back to previous levels after 2,800 miles. And this is with the same K&N filter used with conventional oil for 2500 miles.

Last edited: