New B20b P8R owner!

mirrorimg

technically different, yes, 33mm intake valves, 47cc combustion chamber on the P8R head with a full 84mm bore, so you cannot use it on B18's, it only works on 84mm bore blocks or larger. Was your friend beating 350z's and rsx type-s's with it and a 5spd trans with some bolt on's? It's possible, but the race would have been close, your only lookin at about a 20-30hp increase if that.
No.

Ive got an 82mm block with an 84mm head, using a 84mm headgasket. It will just impede flow slightly because of the pocket created from the larger combustion chamber.

Now if he decides to boost it and it generates a lot of heat, then it may end up developing some hot spots... but from the sound of it, he just wants a basic NA setup.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
No.

Ive got an 82mm block with an 84mm head, using a 84mm headgasket. It will just impede flow slightly because of the pocket created from the larger combustion chamber.

Now if he decides to boost it and it generates a lot of heat, then it may end up developing some hot spots... but from the sound of it, he just wants a basic NA setup.
that is a dangerous way to be using that head, im surprised your head gasket seals at all, in fact im surprised the valves didnt hit the edge of the cylinder wall

da9 b20 beast

thanks guys!!
did little more research and found out
b20b(p75) has 8:8:1 126hp 133tq
b20 p8r has 9:2:1 (combustion chamber bigger and 2layer head gasket but b20b pistons) 143hp 132tq
b20z has 9:6:1 (phk pistons but p75 head)146hp 133 tq

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1467903

thats what they said^^ the horse power seems off... another site said P8R stock vs stock can take a civic si(b16) and GSR easily
... b16=160hp GSR=175hp....seems off to me??....

my friend with p8r had the 350z and type s on his sides... so yes very close race... 1/4 mile was a 14.6 if i remember correctly...
i have a b20b and mines at about 147-150ish ish basic bolt ons sri,exhaust, and headers...the b20b (95-98 spec) i believe have 126 hp i was doing some research the other day...the b20z and b20n(99-01) spec i belive are almost identical only difference is like a censor or something i dont remember but its something small...but trust youll like the b20 more than the b18 i loved it when i slapped mine in and smashed on it :)

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
the misconception is that the P8R version of the b20 somehow has amazing hp and it doesnt, its how you use that head in the future that makes a difference in the performance you will gain compared to using a standard non vtec head. Higher compression overall helps out with the power numbers as well, you always want to look at being about 9.5:1 for ANYTHING, even boost on these cars. Hell I got 11.5:1 compression pistons on 8-10psi on my b20 in my garage.

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
the misconception is that the P8R version of the b20 somehow has amazing hp and it doesnt, its how you use that head in the future that makes a difference in the performance you will gain compared to using a standard non vtec head. Higher compression overall helps out with the power numbers as well, you always want to look at being about 9.5:1 for ANYTHING, even boost on these cars. Hell I got 11.5:1 compression pistons on 8-10psi on my b20 in my garage.
maybe becaase the "more air flow and bigger chamber" gots people believing that?? i wanted NA with bolt ons

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
maybe becaase the "more air flow and bigger chamber" gots people believing that?? i wanted NA with bolt ons
sure it has more airflow, but the chamber is 47cc's, combined with the already low compression pistons that most of them have, the efficiency goes down the drain for an NA car.

j13

Keep It Clean
civic si's with b16's can be taken easily to begin with lol b16 is one of the worst vtec motors you can get
friends 2000 b16a si pulls on gsr's easy. any 88-95 civic with a stock n/a b16b engine will make an n/a integra look like a joke. but the integras can safely reach higher speeds. b16s aren't bad theyre just fit for the smaller vehicles.

Last edited:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
My b16 powered EG sucked balls, ran mid 15s with bolt ons lol. My bone stock p8r equipped b20 crx ran 14.8....

B16 FTL!!!