'95 Integra hood latch stuck

blackwellm

All,

Recently purchased an Integra from a third party and went to open the hood to give it a good ol' oil change when I found that the hood release line was jammed. No matter how much force I (or anyone else) applies, nothing gives.

I don't especially want to take it to a dealer to have it looked at and was wondering if anyone knew how I might be able to get around this snag in maintenance.

It's a '95 Integra LS.

- Thanks in advance

mirrorimg

Take the front bumper off and cut the cable?
I wouldn't be so quick to cut it. Besides, you need to hood up to get all of the screws out to take the bumper off ;)

I would first make sure the cable is hooked onto the lever that you pull. Does anything happen when you pull the cable?

The line may be kinked, and you may have to take some pliers and yank on the cable from under the bumper. Doing this will likely damage the cable though.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
I wouldn't be so quick to cut it. Besides, you need to hood up to get all of the screws out to take the bumper off ;)

I would first make sure the cable is hooked onto the lever that you pull. Does anything happen when you pull the cable?

The line may be kinked, and you may have to take some pliers and yank on the cable from under the bumper. Doing this will likely damage the cable though.
This is why G2s are so easy to steal. Take off the bumper, cut the cable, remove engine, cut e-brake cable, roll onto truck and off into the night.

I just scared myself. I'm sleeping in my car tonight.

blackwellm

When I pull on the cable, the only thing that feels like it is moving is the entire cable (wire + wrappings). We got a little carried away pulling the wire and thumping on the hood that the assembly that holds the wire in place below the steering column bent off to one side - whoops.

I tried to look for the cable under the bumper but couldn't find it. Does anyone know the general area where it might be? Damage to the wire might not be a bad thing if I can get the hood open. It's likely that it has to be replaced anyhow.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Damaging your car is fine but paying the dealer isn't? Why the dealer? Take it to any collision shop. It's not rocket science.

At the handle itself, it's very common for the end that supports the cable to snap. So you pull it and it does nothing. Take off the handle and unclip the cable, then brace the wire sheathing with some pliers and pull the cable.

blackwellm

Damaging your car is fine but paying the dealer isn't? Why the dealer? Take it to any collision shop. It's not rocket science.

At the handle itself, it's very common for the end that supports the cable to snap. So you pull it and it does nothing. Take off the handle and unclip the cable, then brace the wire sheathing with some pliers and pull the cable.
I simply did not want to take it somewhere to be looked at because of any extra costs that would accompany the visit. The latch already seems to be broken - just in the closed position. I figure if it really is a reoccurring issue with these cars, then I should become familiar with it anyways. *shrugs*

I did unclip the cable and do as you mentioned above with yet again more failure. I will probably just take it somewhere to be looked at this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who repiled! :)

bosslade

awesome, I couldn't figure this part out

"shit, I needed to brace the sheathing, then pull cable! Thanks!