Blowing smoke. Need advice.

Zefyr

I have a 1999 Integra gs-r and I'm blowing a considerable amount of smoke, mainly when I down shift to slow down and usually have to give the pedal a couple of taps to clear it out completely. I just replaced the spark plugs and there didn't appear to be any oil on them. It consumed roughly 1 quart of oil in the 2 weeks since I did my oil change. I noticed my diaphragm assembly is making noise occasionally (not sure if this has anything to do with it...) I'm hearing alot about valve seals and piston rings and all of that good stuff, but no stories really matching up with mine. Any advice given is much appreciated, I just really need some direction here.

mirrorimg

That much oil in a 2 weeks... youre definitely burning oil, considering you see quite a bit of smoke. I would venture to say your seals, guides, or rings are bad. The seals being the simplest and cheapest to replace.

integracrzy

is i burning more when the the engine is cold? that would most likly be your guides then because they espand a small amount when warmed up. what color is the smoke? it could be a head gasket, how is your coolent?

Dumpie1

Lower is better
is i burning more when the the engine is cold? that would most likly be your guides then because they espand a small amount when warmed up. what color is the smoke? it could be a head gasket, how is your coolent?
The smoke is most likely White, I think I have the same problem :???:

Zefyr

I believe the smoke is white, but it really is hard to tell. And it does blow no matter how hot my car is, but I believe it blows more when it gets hotter. As for coolant... that seems fine. It's not contaminated and the level is unchanged. I guess I'm going to start my rebuild, time to put the Haines manual to the test!

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
looks like someone is due for a rebuild, atleast it gives you a legit excuse to build up your internals a bit :)

mirrorimg

White smoke: Coolant
Bluish/gray smoke: Oil
Black smoke/powder on rear bumper: Excess fuel/running rich.

It most likely is not white, though you are mistaking it for that, if you are going through that much oil

Gsrteaser

Dude I have the same problem as he does.....ever since my timing belt snap change it dan my kar shake it bad....took the head find out my valves are bad....so took the head to my fwen shop and replace it with supertech valves dan set the tappits to .008 in .010 ex.....ran the car dan bogging like hell idle drop or go high.....dan reving the car blowing white smoke and can smell gas too.....did a compression check 1 cyl 210 2 cyl 198 3 cyl 198 and 4 cyl 110 to 115....kas I took my supercharger out and put my stock intake anyone knows the problem with my car thanks it's a 98 Gsr Teggy