Timing Belt Question

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
I want to start off saying that I feel pretty stupid for asking this but oh well :lol: My wife just bought a 95 gsx and we didn't get a lot of info on it. It was cheap enough to where if something was wrong with it we could fix it. I was wondering if there is anyway to tell if the timing belt was newer or not? :???:

I know I should change it but if it newer, thats money that can be spent else where. Please help

blackhawk070

first off how many miles does it have? seccond is there any leaks at the front of the engine that you can see?

shocker

well you can tell if its in decent shape look at it n see if there are any cracks or splits or if its coming apart at all...but it could be stretched out...so id say spend the couple extra bucks and have it replaced just to be safe because if it breaks then your gonna be puttin out alot more money and headache

shocker

why would there be leaks at the front of the engine?

shocker

thats not gonna answer his question as to if there was a way to tell if his timing belt was newer

99sil-teg

The car runs and drives great. The only thing was first gear was out of it (thats why it was so cheap) the car has 99K on it....

blackhawk070

replace the belt. its due for replacement at 105k. but dont go cheap replace the idler and tensioner cam seal crank seal and h2o pump.

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^ lol

Why cam and crank seal too? if they're not leaking there's no reason to replace them....

just buy the kit... it should come with everything you need. You don't HAVE to replace the idler if you don't want to, but water pump and tensioner for sure.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
i replaced the tbelt on a friends whip w/o doing the seals and had to redo it 2 wks later to replace them cuz they started to leak
well that doesn't mean every car is going to leak... I've replaced 6 or 7 timing belts this year and had none of them come back with leaks...

99sil-teg

i love gsx's
Me too... I'm pretty jealous... lol.

Its red with blk leather.... only bad thing is it has a Paul Walker body kit on it :lol: but I have already started looking for 97-99 parts for it. After we get it fixed we will have 2000.00 in a 95 gsx 5 spd with 99k on it and fresh paint. I thought it sounded like a good deal... especially since it was cheaper then my integra... only bad thing is its a dsm and will have the hood up on it alot prob :lol:

I use to have a 95 awd tsi.. but its been a couple years so I have forgotten all my dsm knowledge :)

So its sounding like timing belt, water pump, and tensioner now and just look every once in awhile for leaks.. like I already do for my car

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The timing belt should be replaced at 60k and 120k miles. If you don't know if it's been done or not, then go do it. Better safe then sorry. Timing belts are cheaper to replace then a head full of valves.

If it has 99k miles and a lot of OEM parts then expect some failures. That's about the same time it occurs on all DSM's. Alternator, clutch master and slave cylinders usually give out about now