Not the distributor, ignition? Computer?

ekgrows

After 10 years of loyal service, I gave my 92 1.8 integra with 174,000 miles to my nephew in October. His first car - how exciting - but it just broke.

You all helped me to find a solution to my problem a while ago when my car wasn't starting. Mechanics were suggesting a bad fuel pump, vapor lock, etc. I replaced the main relay due to info received here, and no more starting problems - which was very nice when teaching my nephew how to drive stick!

Now - we have a different problem - but I don't have many details. The car is not starting. Cranks, but doesn't start. Was towed to a mechanic who thought it was the distributor - which it wasn't. He now thinks it is the computer - which can cost a LOT of money. I gave my car to this kid cuz he has no money - he can't afford this! Whatever it is, I guess is cutting off power to things like the fuel pump, etc.

Any integra specific problems that this could be? I read something about ignition switches / coils - could this possibly be the problem? A relay of some sort?

I know - not many details - but I also know you guys are GOOD - and have a lot of insider info :)

Thanks for ANY ideas......

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
well it only takes 3 things to make a car run.

air, fuel and spark.....one of those three are not there.

process of elimination....mechanic claims it has spark, then its def not the dizzy.

and you say its got a new main relay in it...do you hear the pump cutting on and off?
if you cant tell...the easiest, yet messiest way to find out is to remove the fuel line and just turn the key on super quick...if you have fuel pressure, about 60 lbs of pressure will come out of that line.

its really hard to diagnose a car without it being right in front of me. but i can almost guarantee its not the ecu. if it is, i can find you one for pretty cheap. prolly around 100. maybe cheaper, maybe a little more because people try to use the obd1 ecus to convert there cars and make tuning easier.

ekgrows

I got a little more info - I guess spark and fuel are both "shutting down" thus - conclusion that its the computer. Anything else that would cause both to fail?

I directed others (more auto educated than I am) to this forum. 8urcivic - thanks for your reply. How would I go about getting that ECU from you?

ekgrows

ecu?

hey. my name is scott, this 92 integra rs is now my sons. I've talking to the tech looking at it and he tells me it's losing spark and fuel all at once. He has checked wiring as well as power and grounds and all is showing fine. Any other ideas?

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
ecus rarely go bad on them unless they have been tampered with or somehow weather damaged.

u could always hit up a junk yard....ill look in my garage and see if i have and spare obd1 ecus.

ekgrows

Already replaced the relay in Sept. - do you think it would be causing trouble already? Will nose around the ignition switch.

Have been checking junkyards for 4 days, and finally found an ecu for $230. There is a yard near me that has 2 91 integras - not a 92. Can I use an ecu from a 91, or any other years?

8urcivic - thanks for the offer - no need to check your garage. I think we will just go ahead and get the one that we found - though expensive. Thank goodness for credit cards!

Last edited:

TOPDSM

Dont feel bad man im in the same boat as you with the electrical problems. The tricky part is that when I test the components in order it will show a fault in a compenent just to make sure ill test it again and then it will test fine. Its like the gremlin is jumping around from component to component. I thought grounds or power was the problem and have even replaced the ECU and still the same thing. This is by far the most fustrating EFI system I have ever worked on!!!!

ekgrows

Thanks guys. Was able to find a 93 ecu on ebay - with shipping for $96. Replaced it, and the car started right up - yahoo!!!

bonspeed

PinoyDomesticMarket
hey guys, can you help me on my integra? i think i got the same problem but my ECU works fine because it starts. the problem is while i'm driving the car it jerks then the engine dies, then ill start it again then it will run... then there was a time that when it dies it's very hard to start it... was it my fuel pump not working good or the ignition coil? or the whole distributor?...