firing issues

emd513

ok guys i know this site is for tegs but i had a guy come in to auto zone today that has a problem with his accord so im going to ask you guys. alright he has a 97 accord and put in a 94 95 motor, found out his dizzy was bad so he took the one off a vtec accord and put it on. it worked when they took it off the other car but it had a cracked block. he put it on no fire to the plugs, so he replaced the plugs wires cap and rotor button. also with the dizzy he is using he had to convert to an outer coil. still nothing. we tested his module about 50 times literally just to make sure. he went home and nothing. his neighbor has a prelude with the same coil so they swapped to see if that was it. his works fine in his neighbors car. we thought he might have an ecu problem so he took the one out of the prelude to use it. his threw a code for the vtec not being hooked up but it wasnt a vtec ecu so why would even throw that? any ways after a couple of hours of messing around he finally got spark so he went to crank it and the battery was to low for the motor to turn over properly so he hooked it up to jump start and loss spark again. now me and a friend tried to trouble shoot this and the only things we came up with is bad ecu, dizzy want work for that set up even though the honda mechanics said it would our there is a bad ground, the guy says the grounds are good. any ideas. this has got us stumped.

mirrorimg

What motor is in the accord? I believe you cant use a VTEC distributor in a non-vtec motor.

emd513

well i thought the same thing but he said that he talked to a couple of mechanics from honda and a tuner shop buddy of his and they said that all he would have to do is switch it from the internal coil to the external cause the vtec wouldnt hook up, but that the distributor would be fine. i know my buddy has a mighty mouse motor in his 94 eg civic and found out that he has a non vtec dizzy on it now and it works. i know that the 95 and 97 dizzy are the exact same if therre the non vtec but im still confused on using the vtec one. i havent heard of any one using one on a non vtec. i though they sent different signals to spark in the first place. my computer pulled up on both dizzy is that the 90-95 accord and the 88-95 preludes had a dizzy with one or two vacuum line to control the advance and retard of the motor. this is the vtec dizzy. but that the 96 and up had no vacuum lines that it was ran all electronically threw the system. so that in itself has me thinking you cant use that dizzy. but like i said two honda only mechanics said it would work fine but people have been wrong before. also have no clue what stamp is on the motor just no its a 94-95 accord assuming the f-22 with a vtec dizzy that is put in a 97 accord.

emd513

does it matter that he has and obd2 ecu on an obd1 motor, dont you have to have it programed to be able to run with that setup

emd513

alright guys talked to the guy today and he fixed it. on the 97 accord motor theres a crank sensor on the oil pump but on the 94 95 theres not so it wasnt sending a signal to the ecu to fire when it was suppose to. its running now.