Integra Making Loud Clicking Noise After Valve Clearance

Deep

This is after doing a valve clearance adjustment, putting in a new cam seal and valve cover gasket on and Acura Integra B18B1 engine. I don't know why its doing it. I've quadruple checked the valve clearances and the intake side is .004" and the exhaust is at .007" each have a slight bit of drag like is says it should. Any help would be appreciated.Here's a link to a video of the noise from the engine if the video doesn't embed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSVF1xICAJc&hd=1 Thank You!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSVF1xICAJc&hd=1"][/YOUTUBE]

Roger_96integra

Roger_96integra
take the valve cover off and see if all the rocker arms are in place if they dont have oil they might come off and make the noise it happened to me once after i adjust them

Deep

how would i check if all the rocker arms are in place? if they aren't is there a way to adjust them? (sorry for not knowing much =\ trying to learn) I remember that when i was doing the valve clearance adjustment that some of the rocker arms(hoping that's the thing where the locknut is on) were loose/they would wiggle.

jdmccright

Just did the same thing to my 99 Teg LS that I just bought with 67k miles. It was a little loud so I thought it just needed a valve lash adjust. After I got done, it was alot louder? And yes, this was done with the engine cold after sitting overnight.

According to all the repair instructions, they are adjusted at each piston's TDC...1,3,4,2. Before I adjusted them, looking at each cam for intake and exhaust, the side of the lobes for each are still in contact with the rocker at TDC. But there was plenty of gap between the cam and rocker on the other cylinders where the lobes were pointing away from the rocker. When I did the adjustment @ TDC, I had to back the adjustment screws way off (3or more turns) to get it to the specified clearance, using a 0.003" feeler for the intake adjustment and 0.006" for the exhaust. I held the adjusters in place with a screwdriver as I tightened the locknut.

Now, common sense to me would say to set the minimum clearance with the cam lobes 180° from the rocker. But reading that setting them too tight would burn the valves made me stick to what was written in the adjustment procedure. Now I've got a clattering engine and I'm left scratching my head. I know Hondas shouldn't be this loud.

Can someone enlighten me or give me some peace of mind? Thanks in advance from a Tegnoob.

Last edited: