What would you do?

GSR360

Wht's up CI havent been on the site in a while because of school and work but I have a problem and need your guys' opinion...

I drive a 96 GSR with 143,000 miles. The other day I was driving in the city when I felt my power steering going out. It was getting very hard to turn so i pulled into a nearby parking lot. As far as what it sounded like, there was a flapping or slapping sound coming from the bay. I pop my hood and I notice that all three belts on the crank pulley had came completely off. We tow the car home and take the crank pulley off and we find that the woodruff key had fallen out somehow and it made a pretty nasty groove in the crankshaft. I took it to someone for them to see if it could be worked on in a machine shop or something like that but no, they said there simply is not enough of the crank to work on. After asking them how much it would be to get this fixed they said it might just be a better idea to get a new engine...

So I guess I am asking what other options I have? Should I find a new complete engine? I really would like to keep my b18c but theres a shop that chargeas $795.00 for a 2.0, which I assume is the B20. Or the 1.8 for $1000 (she didnt know if it was an LS or GSR). Would it be worth the money to get someone to fix it? Should I get an engine rebuild? Please help. Thank you.

SoundEfx

I would get the engine rebuilt.
Those two other engines are actually a down grade from your 18C engine due to the lack of the stock v-tec option.

R13

The other asshole
Yeah, Putting in a new crank would be much better, If you could do it yourself it might be cheaper than buying one of those engines.

Edit: actually since the engine is already apart it sounds like I don't see why you couldn't just get a used crank and put it in its place.

Last edited:

GSR360

Yeah, Putting in a new crank would be much better, If you could do it yourself it might be cheaper than buying one of those engines.

Edit: actually since the engine is already apart it sounds like I don't see why you couldn't just get a used crank and put it in its place.
The engine isnt apart, its still in the car, i just took off the crank pulley to expose the crank

GSR360

I would get the engine rebuilt.
Those two other engines are actually a down grade from your 18C engine due to the lack of the stock v-tec option.
i know they are downgrades but deep down inside of me i think i caused the problem by running her too hard because it has vtec.. if i had an ls, i wouldnt be driving it like i drove my gsr.

R13

The other asshole
Ah.

I haven't pulled apart a bottom end before but I feel sure it shouldn't cost 1k to fix if it just needs a crank.

I know 2 members here who should be able to tell you exactly what you need to fix it and about how much it will cost, If they don't post by tonight I'll find one of them or you could pm one of them.

Muckman and Nick_C78 I think... Dammit Nick, I don't know what your name is anymore. :lol:

Nick4dei was much sexier and therefor more memorable. :(

SoundEfx

It doesn't matter what engine you have. If you're an aggressive driver, you'll be that way no matter what car you're in.

Now don't get me wrong, they are good engines and each one comes with their pros and cons.
But if you have a GSR with a LS engine in it, you better be ready to keep that thing forever because everyone will look at you like WTF? o_O
Especially if you ever try to sell it.

db7LS

@Eddie_db7
It doesn't matter what engine you have. If you're an aggressive driver, you'll be that way no matter what car you're in.
Quoted for truth.
You will be as you have been.

In the end its your money and preferences but my 2cents would be rebild yourself if possible labor is whats going to cost you not much on the parts. Plus you get to bond with your car and learn to respect, listen to, and be able to take care of her should any other rough patches come up in your endeavours together.:)

GSR360

Quoted for truth.
You will be as you have been.

In the end its your money and preferences but my 2cents would be rebild yourself if possible labor is whats going to cost you not much on the parts. Plus you get to bond with your car and learn to respect, listen to, and be able to take care of her should any other rough patches come up in your endeavours together.:)
I would love to but i have 0 experience.

JordanB21

tell yah what, you can have my b18b1 engine for your c1.
trade harnesses and computer and we both get a complete swap!;)
at little to no cost to you.

jbrown97ls

i know they are downgrades but deep down inside of me i think i caused the problem by running her too hard because it has vtec.. if i had an ls, i wouldnt be driving it like i drove my gsr.
It's not like a stock GSR is that powerful... Just don't drive it like you stole it 24/7.