DA9 Alternator Question

818DA90

Banned
I have a 1990 DA9 Hatch. I believe the alternator gave out. About a month ago, I was washing my car at a coin op car wash and decided to spray down my engine bay. I tried to keep the water away from the dizzy and alternator but some must have splashed on the alternator. Ever since then, my car has been idling weird, the dash lights and head lights randomly dim, and my battery light randomly comes on and flashes. Today, while driving down the freeway, my headlights finally went so dim they were barely bright, and everything electrical in the car just died out. Car no longer starts without jumping it.

Is the 3 door RS Hatch a 65 amp alternator?

Is it safe to use a higher amp alternator than stock?

Is there any difference in alternators from the 4 door 2nd gen and coupe 2nd gen?

What brand alternator do you guys recommend?

What is the cheapest way to replace mine? Take it to a shop to get it refurbished, turn my old one in and buy a refurbished one? Or just, toss the old one and buy a new/refurbished one?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I think all B series alternators are the same with the exception of the OBD plug style.
Yes its safe to use a higher than stock amp alternator bc the regulator controls the charging rate/production.
I would stay away from remanufactured alternators as they tend to fail quickly.
There are alternator shops that can service yours. I would prefer to keep the OEM alternator and replace whatever parts it needs.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I have a 1990 DA9 Hatch. I believe the alternator gave out. About a month ago, I was washing my car at a coin op car wash and decided to spray down my engine bay. I tried to keep the water away from the dizzy and alternator but some must have splashed on the alternator. Ever since then, my car has been idling weird, the dash lights and head lights randomly dim, and my battery light randomly comes on and flashes. Today, while driving down the freeway, my headlights finally went so dim they were barely bright, and everything electrical in the car just died out. Car no longer starts without jumping it.

Is the 3 door RS Hatch a 65 amp alternator?

Is it safe to use a higher amp alternator than stock?

Is there any difference in alternators from the 4 door 2nd gen and coupe 2nd gen?

What brand alternator do you guys recommend?

What is the cheapest way to replace mine? Take it to a shop to get it refurbished, turn my old one in and buy a refurbished one? Or just, toss the old one and buy a new/refurbished one?
You can try a salvage yard. I paid $25 and my old one for one that looked brand new. Had it on there 6 months with no problems