McDonalds cut Fries out of Happy Meal

purpl3ran93r

TAMPA --
There will still be toys in the bags, but apples will soon reign supreme over French fries in the iconic McDonald's Happy Meal.

The fast food giant on Tuesday announced a long-term project to overhaul the Happy Meal, along with many adult items too, and generally improve the nutrition makeup of menu items.

For starters, the new Happy Meal will come with apple slices, not fries, as the standard option.

And for kids who pitch a protest and demand fries, they will come in a smaller size, 1.1 ounces, instead of the current 2.4-ounce bag. The caramel dipping sauce will go away.

Together, the choices could cut the overall calorie count by 20 percent.

Parents will still have the option of choosing chicken nuggets or burgers, and whatever drink they like – soda, milk, orange juice or water.

The prices won't change.

For now, the switch will go against the current of customer preferences.

McDonald's executives say that given the choice between fries and apples, only 11 percent of customers pick apples.

The changes are part of a multi-year drive at McDonald's to improve the nutrition makeup of its overall menu to have less sodium, lower fat options and more fruits, veggies and whole grains.

It's also part of a drive at McDonald's to shed its role as a major target in the debate over childhood obesity.

Happy Meals have long been a target of health advocates and even city councils, which fault them as ways to tempt kids into eating unhealthy fast food.

Asked if toys would go away, McDonald's officials said absolutely not.

"That's what makes them happy," said Jan Fields, president of McDonald's USA.

New Happy Meals will start appearing in restaurants in 10 markets this September, with a full rollout to all 14,000 U.S. locations by the second quarter next year.

Overall, they'll still weigh in at just under 600 calories.

How do you think this will work?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Good, kids are fat.

I won't be happy until Ronald McDonald goes out the same way Joe Camel did.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
It won't work, McDonalds will lose sales, and kids will still be fat.
Why would a company make a change that only 11% of the public wants? You can most likely thank Michelle Obama for this. Perhaps this was a condition put on McD's in exchange for being granted their Obamacare waiver?

On a separate McDonald's note....why has the price of the Big Mac value meal more than doubled in the last 15 years? Was $3.23 with tax, now it $6.84 with tax! It's not even a "value" anymore.

pinkley

b@115D33p
This is retarded! If McDonalds is the cause of childhood obesity it's because the parents are too fucking lazy to take the time to make a home cooked meal and feed their kids this shit instead. My son loves McDonalds. Especially the fries, but he's also lucky to get it once a month.

pinkley

b@115D33p
It won't work, McDonalds will lose sales, and kids will still be fat.
Why would a company make a change that only 11% of the public wants? You can most likely thank Michelle Obama for this. Perhaps this was a condition put on McD's in exchange for being granted their Obamacare waiver?

On a separate McDonald's note....why has the price of the Big Mac value meal more than doubled in the last 15 years? Was $3.23 with tax, now it $6.84 with tax! It's not even a "value" anymore.
Prices very from place to place. My brother is visiting from California and he said that too. But it's cheaper here in MO, along with other meals.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Once a month is one thing, but some of these fat bastards eat it a few times a week. Then they play on their phones and video games all day, and then wonder why they can't run.

pinkley

b@115D33p
Once a month is one thing, but some of these fat bastards eat it a few times a week. Then they play on their phones and video games all day, and then wonder why they can't run.
I use to work there when I was in high school and you wouldn't believe how many times the same person would come through the drive thru in a single day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Kind of pathetic!

Cripton805

I agree with the change. Fries are still available, but I agree with the apples as a standard option. I bet most kids or parents dont even care and just ask for the standard options anyway. There are some parents that live off of fast food and families. Its sad that they provide that lifestyle for their kids. Sometimes I take my nephews or niece to Mcds and I feel guilty about it because Im giving them close to 1k in calories even if its once in a long while that I take them. Thats a SHIT load of calories for a 5 year old.

Teggy64

Got vtec?
Bout time. As much as I wish they would stop offering fries with happy meals, I know it'll never happen. This is at least a start. I was actually at McDonalds tonight with my friends tonight and happened to look at the calories of my meal and it was around 1200 calories; way too much for one meal and not even that good tasting to deserve all those calories.

96GSRteg

Tyler
i think people underestimate the fact that big companies like this literally spend millions of dollars on researching the feasibility and opportunity that things like this make up. Even if it does prove to be unfavorable, they are only rolling out with this new plan in 10 markets.

While Mcdonalds is trying to put its "super size me" image in the past, i think it will never be forgotten in the eyes of our generation (or at least the people old enough to know what that means).

but damn, they do make delicious fries...

jmsburke1

I'm glad mcdiddys are cutting fries out of happy meals. The s**t is disgusting anyway. Parents dont need to be taking their kids to that place any. When I was a kid my parents rarely took me and my brother to fast food. Now that I'm out on my own i still rarely eat at fast food other than the occasional drunken trip at 3 am or if i forget to bring something for lunch when i go to work. My brother on the other hand lives on fast food and there is a huge difference, I'm average and hes overweight and it just shows that fast food will kill you.