Exhaust resonator install fixes two additional problems!! :)

Vanhandle

When I first bought my 94 DB7 there was this buzzing sound that would occur under WOT between the RPMs of 1500-3200 and 4200-5200. Basically it was a very metallic light sounding buzz. This was really loud at the top end of 3rd gear and would actually be accompanied by a burning oil smell!! The problems have existed since I have owned the car.

I had my exhaust upgraded to a full 2.25" piping with no resonator and a twin loop exhaust about a year ago. Needless to say the thing was LOUD. My buzzing sound persisted even after this install however. I recently decided however to change out to a chambered magnaflow exhaust to see how much more quiet it would be.

The magnaflow chambered was much more quiet at low RPM acceleration, partly also due to the smaller exhaust tip. One new problem occurred however.. RASP. bleh terrible.

So I went back to the muffler shop today to install a glass pack resonator on a hunch... Now all of my problems are gone. No rasp. No metallic vibration sound. No burning oil smell. No significant loss of power. And best of all it is QUIET.

Any ideas on why these two events are related?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
take out all your heat shields underneath the car. mine buzzed and i said fuck it and removed all of it. no more buzzing :thumbs up

ssbp dc2

nope sure dont, but i have the same problem and dont know why its rattles but i have stock gsr exhaust...its got me stumped too.

Vanhandle

take out all your heat shields underneath the car. mine buzzed and i said fuck it and removed all of it. no more buzzing :thumbs up
Actually I had already tried that and the problem didn't go away =/ The only one I didn't remove was the one behind the collector because I didn't want to unbolt the collector.

nope sure dont, but i have the same problem and dont know why its rattles but i have stock gsr exhaust...its got me stumped too.
Install a new resonator? :lol:

ssbp dc2

Actually I had already tried that and the problem didn't go away =/ The only one I didn't remove was the one behind the collector because I didn't want to unbolt the collector.

Install a new resonator? :lol:
i might have to you think that could be the problem. muffler bearings?

jznsn2u

Does it rattle at a specific rpm?

jznsn2u

usually in second going about 25-30. i get a slight rattle
When I first got my bone stock gsr, It had a rattle from 3-3.5k rpm. I changed my cat-back exhaust and it still had the rattle. At a local shop I was told that my exhaust manifold was cracked, so they welded it. I haven't heard it rattle since. But I do know that I'm kinda restricting air-flow due to the welds in the manifold. /)_(\.

jznsn2u

could be the same thing, dont really know havent taken off the heat shield or anything
I never took off my heat shield either, they used the forklift to lift my car and welded the bottom of the manifold. I was like :shock: howd you guys know which area to weld?! btw it was cracked from the inside. Sooner or later it'll crack again and i'll need a new manifold.

ssbp dc2

I never took off my heat shield either, they used the forklift to lift my car and welded the bottom of the manifold. I was like :shock: howd you guys know which area to weld?! btw it was cracked from the inside. Sooner or later it'll crack again and i'll need a new manifold.
huh...well when i get the time and money im gonna put header back exhaust with a test pipe maybe they loud?

ssbp dc2

hmmm Maybe bro. It depends on what style/size of exhaust you get and size of the resonator.
i want something loud but not too loud...where i live all the cops already stare at my car and its stock...wtf? might at well make some racket right? hahah