Rough clutch engagement-All new clutch, old one had contact damage w/pressure plate

flightpath22

I suspect due to the nature of the problem that I'm looking at a worn bearing or bearings on the trans input shaft. At first it seemed to be a hydraulic issue, but that whole system checked out. All that was left was to pull the trans. The trans side of the old friction disc had obvious contact and resulting damage with the inner edge of the pressure plate. Though that clutch disc had a good deal of material left, the damper in the center had a couple of small metal pieces that had eventually broke off due to the contact. After finding the damage and replacing with a complete clutch kit as well as having the flywheel resurfaced, all seemed good...for about 2-3 weeks. Clutch is beginning to engage roughly again and I'm afraid I'm in for a repeat performance. Car is an immaculately maintained, bone stock, 1 owner 96 Integra LS 4 door that I bought for peanuts from my mother. As an over-the-road truck driver, I'm only home 3-5 days a month. I want to know all I can before starting a project because I don't have time to waste. Also, I'm a very capable mechanic for the most part, and will pull the trans myself since I haven't got the money to pay a shop for any more work than absolutely necessary. Before I disasemble everything again though, I am curious if my theory about the bearings in the trans seems sound. I'm also open to any other ideas, suggestions, and/or info on known issues. Thanks to all who can help for their time on this matter.

Last edited: