Fluid Leak at Shift Linkage?~!

Cman46290

Hey Guys,

Ive had a slow leak for some time now, and its definitely coming from where the shift linkage goes into the transmission.....right at the boot. I heard that there is like a shift rod seal there, and can be replaced. Does anyone have a write-up on this? Or has anyone on here done this job yet?

-Corey

Cman46290

still no info on this? im still wanting to fix this dumb leak... just wanna do it right the first time.. versus some short term "bandaid" repair.

mjones73

There's really only one way to fix it, replace the seal.

You have to unhook the linkage and you might as well replace the boot that covers everything while you're at it. I haven't messed with mine yet but my understanding is the pin holding the linkage to the trans can be a pain to get out, that's why it's referred to as the "bitch" pin.

Alvi84

That bitch pin is a pain in the ass. Get yourself a 5 pound hammer and a center punch the exact size of the pin or you'll struggle even longer. Expect to spend 30 to 45 minutes pounding on the pin until it comes out.

I haven't run into this issue myself but the honda-tech thread seemed to be pretty accurate. My local Acura Dealership doesn't mind when I call them with questions that are kinda tricky like this one. Maybe you could contact your local Acura Dealership and see if they have a "down to earth" mechanic that can provide some insight.

Heck one of the mechanic's at my Acura Dealership gave me his personal cell phone number and has helped me multiple times.

Cman46290

cool... thanks guys... i found the part # so ill just order the seal.. and go at it~

Though i will feel like quite the bitch if it takes me 45mins to replace it lol... ill et you guys know how it goes... i just called my local Honda dealer and had them order one for me...

Last edited:

Cman46290

shoot... as much trans fluid thats been leaking all over this thing... it should be well lubed to come out when i try to pull it lol...

Alvi84

Looked like this when I had the tough time. The piping goes through Iowa winters and everything metal underneath my car has begun corroding making the surface rough. I used a wire brush to clean the bitch pin and linkage the best I could so maybe next time I have to remove it, it won't be so difficult.

Cman46290

Looked like this when I had the tough time. The piping goes through Iowa winters and everything metal underneath my car has begun corroding making the surface rough. I used a wire brush to clean the b**** pin and linkage the best I could so maybe next time I have to remove it, it won't be so difficult.

^^ That is EXACTLY why it took you soo long... rust and corrosion is SUCKY.... good thing you got it out though~

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Looked like this when I had the tough time. The piping goes through Iowa winters and everything metal underneath my car has begun corroding making the surface rough. I used a wire brush to clean the bitch pin and linkage the best I could so maybe next time I have to remove it, it won't be so difficult.
Use some pb blaster for a couple days next time, or something equivalent. I live in MN and that's how i keep things from seizing. And Dylan lives too far away from you, otherwise he would help you fo sho...