Starting issues. Helpppp

girl_driven93

sometimes my car likes to pick and choose when it starts...it doesnt happen all the time but i noticed its been happening more recently. at first i started noticing that it would happen after i got gas, but only when i got the gas from safeway. i started just going to shell or cheveron and i noticed it kinda stopped happening. now it does it when its hot out. sometimes if i let it sit for a little it will start right up, other times it can take hours. as the weather has been getting hotter i noticed that it has more trouble starting and takes alot longer for it to start up again....any ideas????? im at a loss at this point....PLEASE HELP

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Heat related intermittent starts points to main relay.

Next time it wont start see if you can hear the fuel pump priming when you key ON. If its not priming that means its not getting power and the main relay would be the likely cause.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
The station you get gas from probably doesn't make a difference, check that relay but I'm thinking it has something to do with your ECT sensor. If the sensor starts getting old (like I think mine has), it will not report the correct temperature to the computer. In my case, the sensor tells the computer my car is hotter than it really is and does not allow enough gas to be sprayed into the cylinders.
Let us know what ends up fixing it :)
- Aaron

girl_driven93

welp it isnt any of that...now my ca is leaking oil....definitley think its gonna be time for a new car soon

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
It's the main relay or a dirty fuel system.

Replace the relay, fuel filter and don't let the gas tank get low.

A small oil leak usually doesn't mean your cars gone. Just fix it.

marin_db

I had the same problem in my db. Only happened when it rained or it was hot as hell (phoenix AZ). The fuel pump was not engaging, so I tested the relay to see if that was the culprit. I took the relay out and put voltage up to it and i could hear the relays engaging. Put the relay back in and still no clicky clicky of the relay. Took out the old one, and still replaced the relay for grins and giggles, and still nothing. Finally called a shop that had a stock ECU to let me try before i buy, and there it was. ECU, the whole time. Apparently the ECU was getting wet and hot and it was frying itself. We opened up my old ECU and we saw signs of water and a little burning. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. New ECU now, and no problems in the past year or so.Hope this helps. Good luck

And don't get rid of her.... we have a dying breed!!!

Last edited:

92_JDM

Oh man, I had a similar issue as well. My car will probably turn on like 1 out of 100 try but after I added a relay that can be bought at a radio store and connected between the starter and the battery, it starts up every time now..

Gus Quick

may be defective Starter

I had an intermittent starting problem with my 93 integra rs - Had it "Fixed" several times, each with a different repair result reason - This is what finally solved the problem: I had a Defective Starter installed earlier that was the Actual problem - The Electrical Brushes (or whatever) would be fine until they eventually turned and then "Settled" into a Non-Electrical Contact position, making my car dead - I would then have to Clutch-Pop-Start it - The non-start problem did not happen often; only about 3-6 times per year, but it was Highly irritating (so was spending all of the money on the Fake-Fixes) Replacing that defective starter fixed everything