considering low mile Integra

lowmileintegra

I have a colleague who has a low mile (27k mile) 1998 Integra. She knows I'm a car guy, so she asked me if I might be interested in it. She lives about a mile from work and has another car - this is why the mileage is so low. I've known her for about ten years and have seen her take the car to work daily. I've looked at it a few times, but I can't determine the model. I believe it is a GS. It's dark green with lace wheels, rear spoiler, sunroof, tan leather interior and a 5 speed. The exterior is fairly clean with some grime on the rims and a few minor door dings. The leather inside is perfect and rest looks fairly clean - although I think she has smoked inside it. She has replaced the clutch and exhaust, but I don't think that Acura did the work.

I'm a gearhead who's owned everything from muscle cars (89 LX 5.0, 01 Cobra, 14 Challenger RT) to euros (03 V8 Jag S-type, 07 328Xi) to rice (85 & 88 Preludes, 91 240SX, 01 TL, 06 V6 Solara, 15 Corolla S). I was in college during the mid to late 90's and truthfully, if I wasn't, this would have been the type of car I would have bought during that time period. I am seriously interested, but I don't know what price range I should be offering. It's tough finding these cars with low mileage to compare. KBB lists it around 4500, as does NADA. Does 5000 sound like a fair offer?

I believe these things have timing belts, right? Given the time period, I'm guessing this would be a good thing to change out. How much should I be expecting from Acura? My TL ran me about 1500 for a belt change. Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks in advance for the input!

K3Ntegra

I have a colleague who has a low mile (27k mile) 1998 Integra. She knows I'm a car guy, so she asked me if I might be interested in it. She lives about a mile from work and has another car - this is why the mileage is so low. I've known her for about ten years and have seen her take the car to work daily. I've looked at it a few times, but I can't determine the model. I believe it is a GS. It's dark green with lace wheels, rear spoiler, sunroof, tan leather interior and a 5 speed. The exterior is fairly clean with some grime on the rims and a few minor door dings. The leather inside is perfect and rest looks fairly clean - although I think she has smoked inside it. She has replaced the clutch and exhaust, but I don't think that Acura did the work.

I'm a gearhead who's owned everything from muscle cars (89 LX 5.0, 01 Cobra, 14 Challenger RT) to euros (03 V8 Jag S-type, 07 328Xi) to rice (85 & 88 Preludes, 91 240SX, 01 TL, 06 V6 Solara, 15 Corolla S). I was in college during the mid to late 90's and truthfully, if I wasn't, this would have been the type of car I would have bought during that time period. I am seriously interested, but I don't know what price range I should be offering. It's tough finding these cars with low mileage to compare. KBB lists it around 4500, as does NADA. Does 5000 sound like a fair offer?

I believe these things have timing belts, right? Given the time period, I'm guessing this would be a good thing to change out. How much should I be expecting from Acura? My TL ran me about 1500 for a belt change. Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks in advance for the input!
For Integras it's 60 to 90 thousand miles. Toyotas can usually go higher miles than that, so they're not all the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. Since it's made of rubber, I think it needs to be replaced between 7 to 10 years, regardless of miles.

The engine is interference based, so there will be catastrophic engine failure, when the belt snaps when the car is ignited.
$80 per hour mechanic, charged $700 (including water pump & tensioners), compared to $1200 for a 1st gen Toyota Highlander.

According to my mechanic, some mechanical or part problems he had on his former Honda Civic, he's unfortunately come across on my car, such as wheel bearings and crankshaft pulley.

I also remember reading somewhere, that very-low mile cars with V engines, for example, are likely to have a seal 'pop out', and are better off being avoided. I don't know about this car in particular.

Last edited:

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Our cars will soon fall into the collector car category. Low mileage, unadulterated ones will be the most valuable.

Ryan659

Our cars will soon fall into the collector car category. Low mileage, unadulterated ones will be the most valuable.

A world wide mass produced car won't be a collector car. Only maybe a handful of them will be but you won't see one in Jay Lenos garage.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Hagardy doesnt even consider the type r to be a collector car. I talked to a rep and he said its under the tuner car category. Only the stock unmoested numbers matching Rs will get money