00-0138 ITR rescue

michaelz

G'day all, it's been 5 years since I had a DC2 and found a black Type R that needed some help recently... ended up buying it!

In case anyone is wondering what happened to my CW JDM ITR, after bringing it back to Aus from Japan I sold it to a local enthusiast for $20k. I was unemployed after my Japan trip, didn't have a garage, couldn't afford to insure my ITR, no choice but to sell.

I never stopped missing that car and been trying to find another. There's not many around and they are all around $10,000+. Test drove 3 listed for sale within my state and all 3 didn't impress.

Then a week ago I found a NHB ITR listed at only $6,700. It had a list of faults: crunchy 2nd gear syncro and noisy 5th gear. Clear coat completely gone from the roof, rear bumper had a very low speed impact and the paint cracked. Original ITR wheels were gone and came on some Accord wheels which I will change ASAP.

Some photos from the listing:

The good: it's got a clean title, has registration, everything worked, engine and chassis numbers match from what I can tell, interior all there and will clean up, black Recaros not torn, mostly stock with a J's Racing catback and some cheapo coilovers. Most importantly the engine pulled strong and has that crazy VTEC cross over that only a B18CR can provide.

After taking it for a spin, the engine actually felt stronger than the other 3 I've driven, so after some negotiating I managed to get the price down to $5,500, half priced ITR, couldn't say no.

Gave it a good clean, literally every interior panel was loose so spent some time buttoning everything up.

Finally to my shock the rear wheel well was like a swimming pool, the rear hatch rubber seals weren't put on properly and has been leaking in for god knows how long:

Long term goal is to have this ITR reliable enough to replace my NB Miata as the daily driver. The NB is cool and all but it's so slow and can't carry anything when I need it to.

Apart from the crunchy box, everything is cosmetic and I will bring her back to full health (slowly) as got too many projects at the moment. Pair of Mazdas, pair of Nissans and a dirty old Toyota on the street. Most of these cars were ugly ducklings that weren't looked after and I purchased them to fix up and got too attached to sell them on.

and the latest member of the family:

94RS

No fucks given.
5500 Australian for a legit ITR? That's like what, 4300USD?

I hate you :lol: (not really)