Losing coolant ?

JBEGGS14

I have been having this ongoing problem in my 1999 integra gs, auto for some time & can't figure out what is wrong. My coolant keeps going into the reserve tank but does not go back into radiator. So far the thermostat, upper, lower radiator hoses, reserve tank cap( it was cracked), radiator cap last year & radiator was changed at 150,000 miles ( it now has 193,000 miles & car has been maintained - oil changed every 3,000 - 3,500 miles since day 1)a couple of times the gauge started to go over 1/2 way point - in stop & go traffic with ac on but car has not overheated. I am constantly putting coolant in it with fan off, heater on full, engine running & bubbles do come out until fans kick on. The car runs good still. There is no white smoke, can't find a coolant leak - so where is coolant going?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
over half way is super hot. Where the needle rests for 'normal operating temp' is about 175-230 or so. You could have a slight blown head gasket.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
fans come on at 180 i think. fans dont do anything when youre driving though.

JBEGGS14

So I did pressure test on radiator this am when car was cold & it held at 15 psi for 1 hour. It said in instructions if I had blown headgasket the pressure would rise instantly - it did not. And I did pressure wash engine to look for any leaks & while looking I noticedthere are no hose clamps on overflow tank hose to radiator. Could this be a possible cause of coolant not going back to radiator

JBEGGS14

Also did a compression ck about 6 months ago when cel came on, I believe they were all around 160 & I really don't know if thats good or ok?? Im just a girl trying to learn about my car. I am going to change the timing belt & water pump soon as I don't know if previous owner changed it when suggestrd in his routine inspections. He was faithful about oil changes & in for 12 years he paid dealers outrageous prices for maintenance. I've gone thru every receipt to learn what went on with car. He didn't have any issues until he hit over 100,000 miles. I had pretty good luck with my Accord & my Integra but for this ongoing problem

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i use zip ties on the hose to the expansion tank for my race car. I also use a 1.3 bar cap. The cap you have now is 1.1 bar and i think thats 15psi.

JBEGGS14

After doing pressure checks on radiator and it's cap the upper radiator hose was expanding like it might blow and I cleaned reserve tank it looked questionable as to tiny pinhole and the hose between radiator and tank also was looking worn. I decided to replace the upper radiator, tank and any of parts related. So as I was adding coolant correct way so there would be no air bubbles - I noticed coolant at bottom of radiator. I need a new radiator - I don't understand how car passed pressure test by 3 different people. But one thing was really interesting, this morning I was looking at tank and radiator and the tank was actually low on coolant. So I'm thinking that changing it, related parts and the upper hose must be what it needed and the coolant will only leak out when car is running. So I hope after I change radiator I will have no more coolant issues. Yesterday was my 1st experience of being my cars mechanic - easy job though - I continue to learn.Thank you for the help and ideas