JDM B18C swap questions

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Okay, guys. I'm about to start the swap, but want to make sure I've got all the bases covered here.

The swap is a JDM B18C with LSD trans(SiR-G. NOT Type-R) swap and all components are OBD1. My car is OBD1 as well. I've got the harness, etc. covered.

Just need to assure the following:

1. That the USDM wire harness will plug into the JDM ECU. (The wiring, etc. will not be a problem. Wiring is something I've become quite good at in the last few years) I just want to make sure that all the plugs, etc. will snap right in. Again, both the new JDM ECU and my car's current wire harness are all OBD1. I've seen that the case for the JDM ECU is dramatically smaller than the USDM LS ECU, but haven't been able to compare the plugs, etc. If it plugs right in, awesome. If it doesn't, I'd like to know now before I get into it and have to order more stuff and delay the finishing of the swap.

2. That using the USDM LS intermediate shaft and axles will work fine with the swap and factory LSD (swap I bought was without axles, etc.) I've read on numerous sites that they'll work fine with the NON-LSD transmissions, but couldn't find anything conclusive about the LSD. Just wanting to make sure there aren't any major differences between them, other than the diff itself.

3. What radiator hoses do I need? The hoses that came with the swap were cut about 6" short of being usable. Will the hoses from my LS work? I googled like crazy, and 3 different sites said 3 different things, and none of the threads were concluded with a solid answer. If I need to order hoses, I'd like to know now so I can get them ordered, and have them in time before I start the swap. If it helps, the radiator is a 100% factory OEM radiator, straight from the dealer.

4. Also, will the LS shift linkage work? I'd like to avoid buying another shift linkage, but will if I HAVE to.

Right now, these are my biggest concerns. All other aspects, I feel I've got under control. I'll be sure to ask when the swap is in progress if I run into anything.

As usual, ladies and gentleman, any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:

obama'swhiteson

1. since you have the jdm harness and what not, why not do a compare and check it out??
2. im pretty sure the axles will work just fine

01FTW

Shit bro you got it down pat. Just use the same size hoses from the USDM b18c1 and youll be good.

Once you get that beast in youll have fun with it. The b18c is a pretty mean engine to have... lots of options to choose from.

You should use the lower radiator hose from a DB2 and just find a hose that will match up as no local auto parts stores carry the DB2 upper hose anymore.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Jake use the USDM harness because the motor is right hand drive so the ecu plug will go to the driver side on our cars. Also, the axles will work just fine.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
oooh i assume jake has a sir g motor n not a si vtec

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
correct. SiR-G

;) reusing current engine harness. all plugs etc, are the same, I just wanted to make sure that the plugs on the ECU itself would work. people on HT and G2IC said its fine ;)

as far as radiator hoses, my friend on G2IC told me that my OEM hoses are fine, just that the top hose will need to be trimmed about 3" to fit snug.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
youre going to need a dyno tune sicne the SIR G does have a higher compression and does output more HP.

correct. SiR-G

;) reusing current engine harness. all plugs etc, are the same, I just wanted to make sure that the plugs on the ECU itself would work. people on HT and G2IC said its fine ;)

as far as radiator hoses, my friend on G2IC told me that my OEM hoses are fine, just that the top hose will need to be trimmed about 3" to fit snug.
How are you going to run Vtec and the secondary butterfly operation wire? You just going to pin them in and run the wires?

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
the subharness from Rywire makes it a plug and play affair. All I have to do is use the diagram on the site to show where I need to pin the wires on the plugs for the ECU. That harness is a dream come true for those that want easy wiring for swaps.

this is the sub-harness I was talking about:
http://www.rywire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=18

since my USDM LS harness doesn't have all the components in it for VTEC, knock, etc. this harness is basically an addition to what I have that allows everything to function 100% normally.
youre going to need a dyno tune sicne the SIR G does have a higher compression and does output more HP.
Out of curiosity, why will I need a tune? The ECU I'm using came with the motor, and was the one that was in it at the factory. The ECU should be ready to go right away. My car is a 92 GS, non vtec, so I don't have a USDM GS-R setup to be the difference maker. The motor and ECU are a pair to begin with. Not reusing stock LS ECU.

Or did I misunderstand your statement? The help is greatly appreciated, but I wonder if I'm missing something in your advice.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
So, I started working on the car today :)

Now, the swap I picked up comes complete with its original engine harness, etc. I need to know what these wires are for:

to describe what you're seeing. It is a small group of wires (one red, one green) that are run over top of the intake manifold. Not sure what they are for, but I traced the wires into the main engine harness. Would like to know what they are for. I will NOT be reusing the original wire harness. I will be using my LS wire harness (which is easier to use, anyway) but I want to make sure I know what this goes to so I can ensure everything will plug in correctly.

Jake, I'm free all tomorrow. Shoot me your address in a PM and I'll come up and give you a hand if you're working on it.
Can you take a pic of where they run to on the top of the IM please?

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Not sure if I'll be working on it tomorrow or not. But I'd love to.

Calling for some shitty weather, sadly. I'll pm you my addy, and if the weather is favorable, you're more than welcome to come up ;)

if not, I will be on vacation from work starting on March 26th, and won't be returning to work until April 6th. So, if you're able to finesse some free time in that time frame, you're welcome to come up then and you can crash at my place if you hang around for more than a day :)

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
goodluck bro, that engine should be nice lol... the only suggestion I have for those wires is possibly the IAT, or IACV... I wouldn't worry too much about it, we scrapped the whole JDM GSR harness on my brothers engine and re-used the LS harness with only adding the VTEC wiring. We also deleted the secondary butterflys and ran a chipped Phearable.net ECU, so not sure if there are wires for that or not