Cold start issues

99Geezer

Ok so whenever I go to start it in the morning sometimes it'll fire right up and sometimes I have to hold the key for around 5-10 seconds and pray it cranks. I"ve searched the forums and figured out its a fairly common problem and have decided i'm goin to replace the ignition relay. Can someone please inform me where that is located? under the dash? next to the main relay? LMK please asap because this problem needs to be addressed.

Also i've already replaced my entire ignition switch because I broke my old key off in the oem one having to hold the key in for 5-10 seconds and crank it; all because of this crap problem.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
My car does that once in a while too, it's a 95 with 186K on it, but it's not often enough yet for me to be motivated enough to find the problem, heh.
I'm not sure where that relay is though. I checked the fuse/relay box under the hood but it wasn't in there.

It may also be a leaking injector(s) or an old distributor rotor. A dizzy rotor replacement is real easy and cheap, have you checked that?

99Geezer

Yea i've replaced my dizzy(got one from distributor king), battery, ignition switch. I work at a shop and we have this program where I can look up where all the relays and fuses are located. Its crazy to because whenever the no start does happen, all I got to do is hook up jumper cables and its all good(AND THE BATTERY IS BRAND NEW- TESTED AT 650 CCA). Hopefully I can get this all squared today because its soooooooooooooooooo annoying. If anyone else has any ideas please lmk and if I finally figure it out i'll let you other people who have the same problem know.