Changing rear brake pads

NEEK94LS

Hey, quick question, when changing the rear brake pads, is it mandatory to open the bleeder valve to spin that ummmm thing lol? Ive done front pads b4 but all you had to do for that was push the piston back. A friend told me that when replacing rear pads its pretty much the same as front pads except you have to spin that ummmm thing. I googled it and read that you have to loosen the bleeder valve to spin that spinny thingy. I bought some hawk hps pads and due to me being a little broke at the moment im not replacing the rotors.

sumfilipinodude

Well I just did my rear brake pads recently, and you have to turn the piston in clockwise to put it in. But when I did.I didn't open the bleeder valve.. everything seems fine for me. For now lol

NEEK94LS

Well I just did my rear brake pads recently, and you have to turn the piston in clockwise to put it in. But when I did.I didn't open the bleeder valve.. everything seems fine for me. For now lol
Thanks for the help bro......One thing, did you use that special tool to turn the piston or something else. It kinda looks like you can use a big ass flathead or maybe a chisel or something of that shape.

sumfilipinodude

Yeah.. I didn't have any tool, so I just used some vice grips and i wrapped the teeth/ends in black electrical tape so that it didn't damagge the piston

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
thhe only reason u want to open it is so you dont push the debri in the fluid back up into the abs unit or master cyl

red.line

Thanks for the help bro......One thing, did you use that special tool to turn the piston or something else. It kinda looks like you can use a big ass flathead or maybe a chisel or something of that shape.
If you can, borrow/rent the tool..makes life so much easier.

NEEK94LS

Yea I did it, my rear calipers were done so I just replaced them......Now I have rear brakes and a E-brake :)

Dougzilla

I used a 12" Kobalt pry bar

If you can, borrow/rent the tool..makes life so much easier.
Like this one: http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/820909/820909628910lg.jpg

Worked just fine! I logged in earlier to see how to do this job myself. I've changed brakes before, but each one is a little different somehow. The info on here helped me a LOT, so thank you EVERYBODY who replied in this thread. This is my first Acura I've ever owned, and first time changing brakes on one.

Peace,

Doug