temp gauge reading cold

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
aftermarket radiator? my fluidyne makes my car never heat up...
It should still heat up to operating temp of the thermostat if it's functioning properly. The thermostat will stay close till it reaches that temp and cycle it closed if it falls below

Your thermostat is probably stuck open as well

patrick4588

Integra God
just so you guys know, that gauge on the cluster sucks. it reads the same from 175-215 degrees. and it starts moving towards hot at 218 and by 220 its pegged on H. so dont be so quick to assume your car is running cool enough.

jackacc

just so you guys know, that gauge on the cluster sucks. it reads the same from 175-215 degrees. and it starts moving towards hot at 218 and by 220 its pegged on H. so dont be so quick to assume your car is running cool enough.
I have an IR thermometer at work, I should really check the temp after I drive to work tomorrow to see what it is. I have learned to never trust gauges from driving Jeeps for so many years... they are some of the worst gauges out there.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
That is possible, but it means it will probably completely crap out soon. Although the warmer temps could have just help you get a little warmer

Just replace it. Thermostats are cheap anyway.
Word, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, maybe you did something to unstick it, maybe it unstuck on it's own, but it'll very likely get stuck again at some point, and it's not worth the life of your engine to welcome disaster if that sucker happens to get stuck all the way closed over an easy $20 DIY fix (not to mention the inconvinience of getting stranded somewhere with an overheated/possibly siezed engine).
Replace that little bastard! lol, then get back to us if your still running cold.

jackacc

Word, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, maybe you did something to unstick it, maybe it unstuck on it's own, but it'll very likely get stuck again at some point, and it's not worth the life of your engine to welcome disaster if that sucker happens to get stuck all the way closed over an easy $20 DIY fix (not to mention the inconvinience of getting stranded somewhere with an overheated/possibly siezed engine).
Replace that little bastard! lol, then get back to us if your still running cold.
Yeah, I went to Advance Auto last night to pick up a T-stat and they had one, but no gaskets in stock :???:

So I'll try another store tonight, I want to replace it soon regardless. Today it was running a little cold again, but it was colder out than yesterday in the morning anyway.

Target

Acura Tech
It should still heat up to operating temp of the thermostat if it's functioning properly. The thermostat will stay close till it reaches that temp and cycle it closed if it falls below

Your thermostat is probably stuck open as well
If I let it idle it will eventually heat up to normal. Anytime air moves across the radiator is cools down a 1/3 on the gauge. I should have clearified.

johnny--2k

I just picked up a 96 SE 4-dr and the needle barely moves above the C on the guage. I've had 4 hondas/acuras in the past and know this is not normal, so I'm guessing a T-stat should fix it. Also, my overflow reservior is bone dry, so I need to fill that. Will any 50/50 mix do, or should I use HONDA stuff?

Thanks,
John