Chunk Missing From Crankshaft Guide Hole

DjZGFX

Hey guys, my crankshaft pulley gave out and when I was going to replace it, half the pulley bolt broke off in the crankshaft and a chunk is missing from the guide pin hole. I can most likely get the pulley bolt out with a bolt extractor but am i screwed if i'm missing this much from my crankshaft guide pin hole?

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
You should see how it feels when you get the new crank pulley bolt. Might tighten it up.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
So I shouldn't be too worried about the chip on the crank?

Depends, if it's tight with crank pulley bolt then I would worry about it. If it still feels the same after getting the crank pulley bolt, id worry about it lol

Sent from my iPhone 2g

DjZGFX

Depends, if it's tight with crank pulley bolt then I would worry about it. If it still feels the same after getting the crank pulley bolt, id worry about it lol

Sent from my iPhone 2g
Cool, Thanks a ton!

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
No problem, some other member on this forum could give you better feedback.

Sent from my iPhone 2g

Nick_C78

Thats a disaster waiting to happen. How the hell did it break like that? I personally would ditch that crank man. Not worth putting it back together just to slam the pistons in to the valves... How does it look back by the gear for the timing belt? If it is that brittle there it might be on its way out further down. If it is just the edge like that you MIGHT be able to get away with it.

DjZGFX

Thats a disaster waiting to happen. How the hell did it break like that? I personally would ditch that crank man. Not worth putting it back together just to slam the pistons in to the valves... How does it look back by the gear for the timing belt? If it is that brittle there it might be on its way out further down. If it is just the edge like that you MIGHT be able to get away with it.
Good thing is that it is just the edge! Gear looks brand new and feels fine.

DjZGFX

i also have no idea how it broke. Just got to the restaurant and thought i blew the motor but looked and it was my pulley slapping against the block.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Wow that crank is absolutely toast. No way are you getting that bolt out with an extractor lol good luck its torqued to 130 ftlbs and it broke... Nope you aren't getting that out without pulling the crank and taking it to a machine shop. Then you still have the messed up keyway. Forget it, its junk. Either replace crank and rebuild the engine or replace the engine.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Wow! That's a good bit of carnage. I've dealt with something like this before, albeit on a small block Chevy. I managed to extract the old crank pulley bolt using a slew of extractor bits, regular drill bits, a dremel, thread chase, and A LOT of patience. it took me and a guy I work with about 7 hours of consistent work, and I would never have done it had the car not needed to make an event in the morning. The thing that really makes your situation bad is the fact that the woodruff key slot is fubar. You're never going to be able to time that engine properly even if you do manage to get the old bolt out.

You have two options at this point: get a new crank or get a new short block.

If you're good enough to do the work, get a crank and have it machined. It'll be cheaper, but only if you assemble.

If you've never built a bottom end and/or you need someone else to do the work for you, a used short block will probably be cheaper. Or you can get brave and learn on this one. But that's about the only two options you've got in this situation.

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Jesus, never though about getting the crank pulley bolt off. That thing IS torqued down. Might as well get yourself a new crank. What engine you got? I assume it's a LS.

Sent from my iPhone 2g