Help pick a new head!

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
This can be done...it does take some money though....I went through many bank accounts for the overall transfer to be done and working in progress.

You wont need the TCU...so you can ditch that. So I wouldn't need a replacement for that at all? I'd just need to remove it?
I have a 97 LS ob2...and did a jdm auto gsr swap which was ob1 so i had to go backwards on getting a custom made jumper harness from RyWire.

Yes you will need the auto ecu for that specific engine or it will not work. So that auto GSR ecu is the ECU I would want correct?

Things to consider---You will not need to wire up Vtec either....we found that out the hard way..it is already programmed into the ecu itself. Does this also mean I'll need a new engine harness if I'm not wiring it up directly?

I completely redid my suspension which included axles...ball joints...coilovers...brakes...as i always took into consideration of doing all new motor mounts as well. It still uses the standard auto LS axles right?

Also when i did my swap I had ordered a complete swap which included the GSR tranny as well as the b18C long block. its not labeled as a b18c1...but as a B18c...not sure if it would make a difference because the JDM model long block.
The Auto transmission for the LS will not hold up well with the GSR motor for every long so i coughed up $100 bucks for the GSR transmission. Now when you say GSR tranny you mean to say it's the auto one right?

End results...it gives a quick pull n here n there...but don't expect it to win you any races at the strip. Car will never race. It's just for me to have a little fun with.

Paid total of round $4,000 to complete whole suspension with all new parts ordered as well as ordering the complete swap and custom harness.
Added in I also did a full tune up---timing belt...spark plugs...belts...oil..the basic stuff to get it running good.

It was a headache towards the end...so be prepared...how much money are you willing to spend..??? I've been working on this for over 3 years and it no where near being finished. It will be in time. Even if I only get small pieces here and there.

phatintegra

Banned
Car is OBD1, it's a 95 RS. I also hadn't considered the TCU as well.. I wonder if I'll need to change that or just leave it. So the standard LS header will bolt up to the head of my choosing with the exception of the GSR head. I want to say I'd be going the b16 route. As the b18c5 head would probably be harder to find and more expensive than a b16 head. No emission testing in my state no. This is just an attempt to make a hodge podge motor work with JUST factory parts, but it may not be that simple i'm thinking.
It all depends on which head you go with. For GSR head it use dual butterfly if you ran the stock LS ECU how will it activate the secondary butterfly? You can get away with the B16/ITR heads since they only use a single butterfly.

LS header will bolt up to B16 and ITR heads not GSR wilth out modification since the down pipe will end up few inches short.

I know a guy that did a LS/VTEC on stock LS ECU, B16 head and he has a Greddy VTEC controller that activate VTEC.

If you want done correct I would hunt the ECU down with the correct head
GSR head JDM SIR-G ECU. B16 head JDM P30 Automatic ECU (B16 Auto).

I think you will be ok on SMOG test since your OBD1 and hold onto the stock LS ECU for SMOG if your state has smog.

You should be good on wire harness since your OBD1. Also you will need the correct Dizzy.

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Just FYI, as far as shear flow and performance is concerned...

Flow (best to worst) - stock: ITR/CTR (factory ported b16) > GSR > B16a
- Ported: GSR > ITR/CTR = B16a

The GSR head also has slightly smaller combustion chambers as well as better quench pad areas IMO, so it will give you better compression safely over the b16 heads.

A nice little trick for some extra top end revs is to run GSR intake valve springs all the way around, and throw out those stock GSR exhaust springs. This will literally give you ITR springs/retainers. Seriously. Check the part numbers. The ITR heads just use GSR intake springs all around and they both share the same retainers. This will allow you to rev higher with the proper mods.

Last but not least, I HIGHLY suggest doing a 5 speed swap. It's easy, cheap, and you'll be much happier with the results and added performance potential.

Nick_C78

The head flow has never been whats in question with the heads. It is the combustion chamber thats the major difference.