Help pick a new head!

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
So I'm looking to get a different head for my car. Current one is shot and I'm fielding ideas on another head. Keeping it stock but going with new OEM internals for the head. That being said, I'm looking for a GOOD OBD1 vtec head that would go well with my b20b.

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
I'll probably catch some hell for this project/idea but it's my car right? Currently running a b20b all stock on an auto trans. Spoke to a few people and I'm going to attempt to run a vtec head with an auto trans. So I'm looking to know what OBD1 heads will work on my b20. I know the GSR obd1 head and type-r head from the integra's will fit. I had been told b16 but I don't know what car came with an obd1 b16. So for this to work I'm assuming I'll be needing:

OBD1 vtec head
OBD1 intake/throttle body
OBD1 Dizzy
and an ECU which I'm stumped on at the moment I believe it has to be OBD1 as well.

Plans are in the works to convert to car to 5speed later but I've been told this is possible with work and wiring on an auto trans.

Nick_C78

You dont need it to be obd1, especially if you get it tuned. Youll just need obd1 injectors and distributor. Everything else on the head uses the same plugs I believe.

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
So I can still use my b20 intake/throttle body? I know that some intakes have and use different plugs. So I can use any b-series vtec head if I'm understanding you correctly, I just have to swap my sensors over to the new head. Wonder if my current injectors will work?

Nick_C78

Your intake manifold will not work. Youll need a gsr manifold for gsr head. However, b16 and type r can use each other's intake manfolds. And yes, most of your current sensors will transfer over, just not your dizzy or injectors. Your current injectors will be too small and dizzy won't fit.

But yes, any bare vtec b series head will work.

Nick_C78

You'll have to do your own research on which ecu options you have, because I have personally never looked in to it. Nor do I want to. I know theres a jdm auto gsr. Thats about it.

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
Upon further searching there are plenty of threads on this. Apparently the Sir-g auto from japan was an auto vtec setup. ECU can be a little touchy from what I'm seeing. But thanks for the heads up and I've made a useless thread lol.

phatintegra

Banned
Let me chime in since I already did it years ago.

Is your car obd2 from the factory?
B16, b18c5 and b18b1 intake manifold will bolt up. GSR heads won't. Same with the headers.

ECU. Depends on which head your going with. eCtune and Greddy stand alone will work maybe chrome, Neptune and or Motech may work. You will need a obd1 ECU and jumper if you are obd2

Do you have smog in your state?

Last edited:

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
Car is OBD1, it's a 95 RS. I also hadn't considered the TCU as well.. I wonder if I'll need to change that or just leave it. So the standard LS header will bolt up to the head of my choosing with the exception of the GSR head. I want to say I'd be going the b16 route. As the b18c5 head would probably be harder to find and more expensive than a b16 head. No emission testing in my state no. This is just an attempt to make a hodge podge motor work with JUST factory parts, but it may not be that simple i'm thinking.

IsAlwaysBroken

All Stock
I did and didn't miss threads like this..... what are your goals..?
Auto trans with a vtec setup. I had been contemplating this idea for a while and decided I would get more information on it. 90+% of people don't even want an auto trans. Being and oddity is kind of my thing and this combination usually never gets considered. Mainly because I'm just not interested in a manual drive setup.

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
This can be done...it does take some money though....I went through many bank accounts for the overall transfer to be done and working in progress.

You wont need the TCU...so you can ditch that.
I have a 97 LS ob2...and did a jdm auto gsr swap which was ob1 so i had to go backwards on getting a custom made jumper harness from RyWire.

Yes you will need the auto ecu for that specific engine or it will not work.

Things to consider---You will not need to wire up Vtec either....we found that out the hard way..it is already programmed into the ecu itself.

I completely redid my suspension which included axles...ball joints...coilovers...brakes...as i always took into consideration of doing all new motor mounts as well.

Also when i did my swap I had ordered a complete swap which included the GSR tranny as well as the b18C long block. its not labeled as a b18c1...but as a B18c...not sure if it would make a difference because the JDM model long block.

The Auto transmission for the LS will not hold up well with the GSR motor for every long so i coughed up $100 bucks for the GSR transmission.

End results...it gives a quick pull n here n there...but don't expect it to win you any races at the strip.

Paid total of round $4,000 to complete whole suspension with all new parts ordered as well as ordering the complete swap and custom harness.
Added in I also did a full tune up---timing belt...spark plugs...belts...oil..the basic stuff to get it running good.

It was a headache towards the end...so be prepared...how much money are you willing to spend..???