3rd gen the alternator problem

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I had an alternator go bad on my 96 teg, so I replaced it with a salvage yard alternator. that worked fine but then I had battery problems (wouldn't hold a charge) so I bought a brand new battery and for two days it worked fine but then on my way home I lost radio and all dash lights. eased it home and now the battery is dead. do I need another alternator or could it be something stopping the alternator from sending current to the battery?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Have Autozone test the charging system. Also inspect the + charging cable between the alt and battery, see if its burnt or corroded.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I'm about to take off the alternator and go have it tested, if it checks out I'll 're run the wire going to the battery and go from there. thanks guys

SoundEfx

Did you do a voltage check to see what the alternator is putting out in the car?

That way, if the alternator checks out while out of the car, you know that the car is at fault.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I haven't taken out the alternator. once I do I'll have it checked, its either the alternator or the wire going to the battery

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I checked my fuses and I have a bad fuse under the hood. it's the 7.5 and on the diagram it says it's a backup. I can't find an alternator fuse. any help?

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
the 100 amp is good, going to buy a new alternator tomorrow. last one I put on there was a junkyard one

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Did you inspect the charging cable between the alt and battery pos? Test the ohm resistance of it.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
just got it fixed and back on the road. next is to get a fiberglass hood (one one is rusty) and a aftermarket steering wheel