Post your PC/Gaming rig!

OneFastGSR

Idk your best guess is mine? Air in the lines? Lol It's a closed system so no way to fix it I guess. It's like 3 years old now or more so I guess it did good for what it was.

OneFastGSR

Oh, Idk, It's insanely loud for such a small fan. Louder than all my case fans maxed out and you can hear it over my speakers and everything. It's crazy. Did your phone blow up or some shit, Can't text a nigga back. Hahaha

R13

The other asshole
New addition to the budget rig, LED's

Edit: Oh and two more Cooler Master 120mm red led fans.

Last edited:

OneFastGSR

Awhile back my little brother got a ASrock extreme 4 motherboard and a i5 4670k, I went to install it for him and It was getting bios failed errors, I sent it to newegg to get a replacement and they wouldn't replace it because the motherboard had "bent pins" I got it back, Bought replacement bios for it. Now the computer starts with no error codes or anything, never shuts down etc. But it never boots at all. It just stays on all the fans etc come on and never boots. No signal to monitor. Has to be the motherboard. My computer works perfect. I swapped his motherboard/cpu with all my parts. Same problem. So he got a bad motherboard for $200, $140 for the motherboard. Spent $60 after shipping the motherboard back for nothing and buying new bios. Still got a useless paper weight. Never buy a mobo from newegg and never buy a ASRock anything.

phatintegra

Banned
Building my first 3D Graphic computer. I'm very undecided on the motherboard and procesor. I have the case already Corsair 900D. Going back and fourth between Xeon and AMD. Keep in mind I'm doing allot of 3D rendering/modeling and need to have at least 3 monitors. Multi tasking so I need Multi cores.

I like to know what is better for my application and why?

I have no IT background but I'm a Electrical and Mechanical Engineer. I will have plenty of question.

R13

The other asshole
Hell of a budget if you're thinking xeon, Have you looked into the i7-4960X, Might be just as suitable depending on what xeon you're thinking of, I always tell anyone, If you're willing to pay extra intel is the way to go because intels individual cores are stronger than amd, They also have hyper threading so like that i7 up there, It may be 6 physical cores but hyper threading makes it as though it's a 12 core and that particular i7 can go up to 4GHz so it's great for video rendering and stuff like that.

As for motherboards Always get an ASUS if you can, The ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132053) is the best motherboard for the i7-4960x if you went that route just don't get it from newegg because you're basically screwed if it's defective.

You are looking to do a high-end work; the efficient and the powerful the CPU and RAM, the better the system for your work. I am sceptical of those two Xeons. You have got to grab a decent xeon, say 2 x Xeon x5660, which would cost you $2500 for the CPU alone.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Is the performance gain of 2 xeons over 1 i7 is worth the price. My personal view is probably not worth it. It is a server grade CPU. I have an HP xw8600 with x5450 for my real time financial market work. It is fantastic. Would I upgrade or buy another xeon with that price? NO. They are fantastic but I tend to think that the i7s would give a run for money. For $2500-$3000, you can build a nicely over-clocked new build.

Let's say, you go for a system like this....I'm sorry..I have not given the cost.

CPU is i7 3930K (6 core, 12 tread).
Mobo: Asus P9X79 Pro
GPUs: GTX 680 (when in stock) or Quadros 4000 upwards....
RAM: G.Skills Ripjaws Z 32 gb or 64gb
PSU: Seasonic X750
HDD: seagate 3tb 7200rpm hdd
SSD: Samsung 830 SSD
Optical Drive: Your choice (LG)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H100.
Case: Plenty to choose from.
That's my opinion on the cpu and motherboard, As for the rest I will get to that when I'm not working.

What gpu did you have planned?

As for monitors, I have one of these, 1ms response and it supports up to 144Hz refresh, Ridiculous monitor and well priced, I plan to get 2 more myself. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Last edited:

phatintegra

Banned
I looked at the I7 4960X with the Asus Maximus VI Extreme, that was my original plan but others think its overkill.

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
Overkill? No such thing :lol:

The i7 is 1/5 the price of the xeon and better, The xeon is just like an industrial server processor, Even the i7 4770k that I have would be good for that but I think the 12 core i7 would be perfect for it.

As for motherboard, Asus is always a good board, The sabretooth has always been my go to board so i'd say you're good there.

Sent from my toaster

phatintegra

Banned
I think I'm sold on the I7-4770K, Microcenter is right down the street from my work they have them for $249.99.

The P9X79 CEB Server is $444.99. The Maximus VI Extreme is $399.99. I'm stump between these two motherboard. I'm not looking at price but which on is better for my application.

As for the video graphic card I have not decided yet, since I could not agree on the motherboard. But I was thinking about the Asus GTX770

Last edited: