B20B Engine Bearing and Parts? Which Parts to Order?

g6qwerty

I was Just having some fun in the mountains and well my engine started knocking, loud at anything above 2,000rpm.
II believe it may be a bearing because I put in about 3/4 of qt of tranny fluid that I had in my trunk and another 3 qt of 20w-50 from the gas station and drove it home under 2000rpm and it sounded a little bit worse on the last 1mile.

It has a Stock B20B on the motor, so would just ordering parts for a 1997 honda CRV's B20Z or B20Z1 work for these parts?
engine bearings
connecting Rod bearings
pistons and rings
connecting rods

I may replace the Oil pump too but as I remember from last time I researched it, a stock integra's oil pump will work fine. Hopefully the cylinder head is fine where the camshafts ride.

I'll Let you know what I find once I open up my engine, might be 1-3 days depending on how soon I can get the garage cleaned out or find something else. Won't Order any parts till I find out what is wrong.

g6qwerty

uh I was going to remove whole engine and then go from there, But mainly I am looking to find the correct parts for the B20B, as in looking up parts under a Honda CRV would work or not?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
um...if your motor is knock knock knocking you should probably pull the motor and inspect. you probably need new rods or a crank or both.

g6qwerty

I thought of that too saw one for 350 in califonia, but they had even higher priced ones
$350 http://www.jdmenginepro.com/product/97-01-honda-crv-2-0l-jdm-b20b-engine/
$600 http://www.jdmenginepro.com/product/97-01-honda-crv-b20b-engine-jdm-b20z-high-compression/
Looked locally on car-part.com but 99-00 are too high price at ~$700ish for 130,000 miles + and only about 100 dollars less for the 96-98 years.

But I wanted to know how do I tell the people at the parts counter what engine or car I have so they can get the correct parts for it. As to which parts it may need I will find out after I tear down and inspect the engine. Or if its just cheaper to replace engine. As I only have a 700 dollar budget or maybe a bit more depending on how much more work I get.

Till then I'll drive my stock 91 Integra GS 4dr auto.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its a crv motor. Dont overthink it. BUT dont just order parts...you could spend a bunch of money and blow your budget and finally tear down your motor and find out you need a new crank and then you have no money to buy a used block (which is cheaper than a crank).

g6qwerty

lol my coworker tells me the same thing "Dont overthink it." when I'm working on a moving job.

Though for auto repair, its so much easier to diagnose first then order parts.

Should start working on pulling engine out tomorrow, need to break down 1 large crt tv and a monitor.

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
lol my coworker tells me the same thing "Dont overthink it." when I'm working on a moving job.

Though for auto repair, its so much easier to diagnose first then order parts.

Should start working on pulling engine out tomorrow, need to break down 1 large crt tv and a monitor.
What moving company do you work for?

g6qwerty

I work for a moving company. Had a nice easy job today probably only 1-1.5hrs of work.

Also Pulled Engine and tranny today Here's the Photos, Looks like I need Crankshaft machined on con rods maybe under sized bearings or just polished and mains are perfect. Camshafts appear to be fine for bearings. Looks like cylinder 2 and 3 con rod bearings took the most damage. I can feel the uneven surface with my finger nail on the crankshaft where the connecting rod bearings ride plus theirs some bearing embed.
The cam shaft caps I fell something with my finger but they look fine and same with the cams

Crankshaft 1
Crankshaft 2
Crankshaft 3
Crankshaft 4
Crankshaft 5
Crankshaft 6

Connecting Rod 1
Connecting Rod 2
Connecting Rod 3
Connecting Rod 4

Main 1
Main 2
Main 3
Main 4
Main 5

Camshafts

Oh man that was a lot of copy and pasting

Last edited:

g6qwerty

Was wondering If I need a new oil pump or can reuse this one cause it has some scorning i can feel with my finger nail on the back side and a little on the front but the gears seam fine on the inside with only the back side having a little scoring.

Rear Housing
Front Housing
Front of Oil pump
To Rear housing of Oil Pump
Inside Oil Pump

g6qwerty

Ok so far for prices through Rock Auto w/shipping; with out Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Tranny Fluid, and Coolant I have.

Rebuild
Intake Manifold Gasket, Exhaust Manifold Gasket, Exhaust manifold down pipe gasket, Water Pump Gasket, Clutch Pilot Bearing, Head Gasket, Main Bearing, Connecting Rod Bearing, Thrust Washer.
Machine Crank ~$150.00
OEM Oil Pump
amazon.com $164.91
hondavillageparts.com $158.86
Total w/out Oil Pump $331.13
With Oil Pump $489.99

Their is a cheaper OEM oil pump for $106.60 but its for one with a crank sensor.Amazon Other than that I don't know where you can get an OEM OIl Pump for $100

Also would like to properly fix broken oil pressure sender area on block, going to get a pipe thread tap and plug or maybe a pipe so I can install Oil pressure Sensor.

Replace Engine
Intake Manifold Gasket, Exhaust Manifold Gasket, Exhaust manifold down pipe gasket, Water Pump Gasket, Clutch Pilot Bearing, Main Seal Set Front, Rear Main Seal, Camshaft Seal Set
Engine B20B jdmenginepro.com $350 +$200 shipping (or drive down and get it for ~150 in gas)
Total $615.54

Last edited: