The new project.

Joe383

The car was free because a friend broke the transmission. It is stuck in I am thinking 4th gear. It feels like your shifting in to a new gear but every thing is same gear even neutral. Motor is fine but could use a tune up. Body and interior is in rough shape as you can see. The plan is a B16 LSD cable transmission and a B20Z swap. Going to gut interior of car to lighten it up and fix body damage. Has euro lights in rear that have to go and will do some cheep 15" rims. Going to do a cheep drag car. Will sell original B18 to get back some of the cash I spend on the B20. I have a nice DC2 and want a second car so I am not putting so many miles on the DC2. Going to use it as my bad weather car and a cheep fun ride. I have a new paint gun and air compressor so maybe I will practice my body and paint on this car. I don't have a garage and it is too cold out side so will have to wait tell spring to start project. Going to be collecting parts and supplies tell then. Nice to have a project I am not worried about scratching or breaking down on me and that I wont feel bad stripping the interior out of.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Nice. Always loved the DAs. Had 3 when I was a kid.

I dont see the interior, so i will take your word on it. However, what is going on with the hood and the emblem?

Joe383

Ya I got it that way. It also has euro lights hahaha. The whole front of car is getting replaced with new parts. The hood, fenders and bumper are getting new parts. There cheep and I don't have to worry too much about fixing all the damage. I would like to find new doors as well as there is some rust on the doors and the windows don't roll up and down well. I also want to strip all the tint off the windows. I looked at a CRX yesterday that I was told had a B18 swap with a blown head gasket and was just going to swap the integra motor in the CRX but the guy was wrong. It was a very beat up car with a D15. Got about $400 saved so far and am working on selling another car so I can get the rest I need for the transmission. Wanting a B16 cable transmission with LSD. Not the easiest part to find. I have never heard such a tinny sounding car. It is very high pitch. Going to put a stock air box back on and re do the whole exhaust. Going to eliminate as much stuff as I can that is not needed like the ABS, power steering, AC and any thing else I can get away with that is not needed to drive the car down the road while still being legal. Going to try to make it easy and fast to work on. Going to tuck some stuff when the fenders and bumper are off. Not too bad for free though. Got a baby on the way so hope I can build it as I planned. The wife if pretty on board with getting a new motor and transmission over me buying a new cheep old car with a lot of miles on it. Hope I can get the swap done and car running for about $2500 after all is said and done and then the other mods can follow. I am hopping to have the whole car built for about 5K including paint and all.

94RS

No fucks given.
So wait, you're gonna take out the B18A1 and replace it with a B20 or another, likely non-VTEC B18? Unless you plan on going VTEC, you won't notice any difference in power.

Save your money for the trans swap.

As for the shitty sounding exhaust, look into the Tanabe touring catback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yse2Jpk2_8&app=desktop

Last edited:

Joe383

The motor in this car is tired. Part of the problem is probably an old cat but the motor is smoking a little and I just want the car to be reliable and not need much maintenance for the next couple of years. I live 26 miles from work so will be putting some miles on this thing when it is finished. The wife will not let me spend the money on a VTEC swap. Going to try to replace as much maintenance items during the swap as I can like the axles, injectors, timing belt, water pump, motor mounts and radiator. I don't want to have to pull motor back out later for repair or replace. I figure if I am going to put a B18A1 I might as well replace it with a B20Z as there about the same price. If I could afford it I would just put the GSR from my DC2 in the DA and do an H2B swap in my DC2 but I don't have the funds for that at the moment. I am pitching the motor replacement to the wife from a reliable stand point not as a mod. I want a quick fun car but I want it to be cheep and reliable more than any thing. Just building it so I am not putting so many miles on my nice integra and so I have a toy. I understand your point though as it is not a good performance to price to put B20 in the car when there is already a B18 in it.

Joe383

So wait, you're gonna take out the B18A1 and replace it with a B20 or another, likely non-VTEC B18? Unless you plan on going VTEC, you won't notice any difference in power.

Save your money for the trans swap.

As for the s***ty sounding exhaust, look into the Tanabe touring catback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yse2Jpk2_8&app=desktop
Believe it or not the exhaust looks all stock except for the DC header on it. Even has what looks like a stock cat. I think the sound is the plastic short ram intake it has.

94RS

No fucks given.
The motor in this car is tired. Part of the problem is probably an old cat but the motor is smoking a little and I just want the car to be reliable and not need much maintenance for the next couple of years. I live 26 miles from work so will be putting some miles on this thing when it is finished. The wife will not let me spend the money on a VTEC swap. Going to try to replace as much maintenance items during the swap as I can like the axles, injectors, timing belt, water pump, motor mounts and radiator. I don't want to have to pull motor back out later for repair or replace. I figure if I am going to put a B18A1 I might as well replace it with a B20Z as there about the same price. If I could afford it I would just put the GSR from my DC2 in the DA and do an H2B swap in my DC2 but I don't have the funds for that at the moment. I am pitching the motor replacement to the wife from a reliable stand point not as a mod. I want a quick fun car but I want it to be cheep and reliable more than any thing. Just building it so I am not putting so many miles on my nice integra and so I have a toy. I understand your point though as it is not a good performance to price to put B20 in the car when there is already a B18 in it.

Could always gather parts and convert to LS/VTEC. I've heard of people doing a budget-build LS/V for as little as $1200, not a whole lot more than some of the B20Z's I've seen from a few importers (800-900)

Believe it or not the exhaust looks all stock except for the DC header on it. Even has what looks like a stock cat. I think the sound is the plastic short ram intake it has.
Stock exhausts on Integras just have a really shit sound to them. Last I heard mine, it had that "tin can" sound that you speak of, but mine is missing the cat (previous owner).

Plastic intake? Like hard plastic or the OEM flexible thing? If it's what I'm thinking (Iceman), that's a now unobtainium piece of old school. :lol:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Could always gather parts and convert to LS/VTEC. I've heard of people doing a budget-build LS/V for as little as $1200, not a whole lot more than some of the B20Z's I've seen from a few importers (800-900)

Stock exhausts on Integras just have a really s*** sound to them. Last I heard mine, it had that "tin can" sound that you speak of, but mine is missing the cat (previous owner).

Plastic intake? Like hard plastic or the OEM flexible thing? If it's what I'm thinking (Iceman), that's a now unobtainium piece of old school. :lol:
if its smoking lsv isnt going to last. most likely the motor has piss poor compression.

Joe383

I don't even know what cold air intake it is. Its just some red plastic tube with a cone filter on it. There is a lot of things that need fixed and restored on this poor thing. It has a cheep aluminum short shifter in it. Feels like an aftermarket clutch as its a little stiff and has 3 drilled and slotted rotors and one normal rotor. We will see if there is any rust when I gut the interior. I am hopping I don't have to patch any thing.

I believe the struts and springs are different on the DA compared to my DC2 integra but is all the rest of the suspension the same like the brakes and sway bars as far as being able to swap parts?Is there any thing from my suspension or brakes on my DC2 that is worth swapping to this car if I upgrade it? Later my suspension on my 2001 GSR is all getting replaced and if I could recycle some of the parts it would be nice.