timing belt and water pump replacement

integrals1822

i wanted to replace my timing belt and water pump on my 1999 integra ls. and i was wondering is there anyone out there that has a thread on how to acomplish this task.

BankiBoi

google garage ninja, but your going to need either a impact gun or the crankshaft lock tool to get that belt off. you should only replace those things if you really have to because it is alot of work.

sonsintegra

I disagree with the last poster. After my Sons perfectly good looking timing belt broke two days ago (I assume because of age) I'm all for preventive maintenance on this. We just finished the replacement of the belt this afternoon without to much of a problem.

I just Googled how to do it and I came up with a good link which included photos which helped . We did also have the Helms manual which walks you through the steps.

You will need a good high torque Impact Gun or you'll never get the Crankshaft bolt off. I would also suggest a 27mm wrench to rotate the cam and to hold it in place when putting the new belt on.

This is a good deal of work, but well worth the peace of mind.

Good Luck

atomic_peach

This article over on TI ought to help a lot. They state to use it along with the Helms manual, which you should purchase if you ever plan to work on your car. Helm Inc makes the most in depth manual for your car (the dealerships use them). If you do not want to purchase one right now, you can download it in the second link. The timing belt change starts on page 6-7 (six dash seven) in my book for a 95 teg. As stated before, you will need a tool or something extra to get that crank pulley off. I think the article recommends placing the car in 5th gear and have some use the brakes. I don't know if that's the best idea, but it might be the cheapest.

Article: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/vitamin_d/288-timing-belt-water-pump-replacement-g3-teg.html
Helm Manual: http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals?SID=94e5422179078f0f7819aea47ac4acab

Edit: I did a lot of research about this recently because I am unsure about my own belt. It definitely seems doable as long as you have the tools (a good jack, breaker bar, torque wrench seem to be the most expensive).As for the belt, almost everyone recommends OEM (acuraoemparts, rockauto, and amazon carry them the cheapest). The belt alone costs $8(?) but the kit (water pump, tensioner, belt, etc.) is around $50. Good luck and post if you need any help!

Last edited: