Cleaning the engine bay

patti2103a

I was planning on cleaning under the hood this weekend and was wondering if anyone can give me something similar to a step by step. I heard simple green was really good so i picked a bottle up from walmart. Is there another way to clean under the wood without having to hose everything down cuz im scared i might break something.

UPDATE: I just finished cleaning and I actually missed a couple of spots so I might redu it this week. Sorry for the bad pictures cuz I only had my cellphone with me to take them.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

acclude

cheap bastard
Is there another way to clean under the wood
yeah, get a g/f 8) j/k

You're alright hosing the engine bay down as long as you do it when the motor is ambient air temperature and you don't get the air filter soaked. Also, make that one of the last thing you do because you'll want to start the engine up ASAP so that water doesn't sit in places that it's not supposed to. Never had an issue with it.

Simple green is good as a cleaner/degreaser, but you may want to get something to add a little shine after all the cleaning is done.

patti2103a

yeah, get a g/f 8) j/k

You're alright hosing the engine bay down as long as you do it when the motor is ambient air temperature and you don't get the air filter soaked. Also, make that one of the last thing you do because you'll want to start the engine up ASAP so that water doesn't sit in places that it's not supposed to. Never had an issue with it.

Simple green is good as a cleaner/degreaser, but you may want to get something to add a little shine after all the cleaning is done.

besides the air filter what else should i cover and any suggestions on a product to give it the shine.

sickDA

Its fine to use a hose to clean your engine bay just use a little common sence. Lol. And i prefure purple power degreaser, it works wonders but to do it right you need a scrub brush, a tooth brush and a few hours. I wouldnt use any sprays or anything to shine it up beacuse it might look good for a few days but that stuff looks like crap after about a week and its impossiabe to get off.

mteg

Automatic Lover
I've always had good luck with black magic engine degreaser. If your engine bay is relatively clean, this works wonders.

Sammich

i did a write up on these boards...if u feel like searching for it..its a step by step of a how-to to do this

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
id cover the plugs going into the valve cover too, I usually just scrub mine by hand.

Sammich

just saying, with me personally..from my 88 toyota p/u to my GSR to the maxima...i have never covered anything..and teh most problems ive ever had was w/ the truck and it was because i had a make shift screw on my cleaner that didnt tighten and cover the hole for teh carb, but in about 15 mins it worked itself out

topspinmonkey

i took my to the shop just over the weekend and the mechanic sprayed the entire engine bay under the hood with a high pressure hose. i was like wtf but i trust he knows what hes doing